• 7 •

-- ∞ --

"Are you sure you want to come today?"

Hyun-Ji looked up from fastening Hyori in her car seat to her fiancé questioningly.

"Why wouldn't I want to come?" He asked defensively. "It's my daughter's doctor's appointment."

He stood close by and shoved his hands in his pocket, his eyebrow raised. Hyun-Ji cringed slightly, correct in her assumption that he would be his usual stubborn self.

"It's your one day off this week," she reasoned. "I'm sure you can find something more relaxing to do. We'll be back within an hour or two."

"This is her two-month checkup, right?" Haneul asked, briefly stopping her quest for a second cup of coffee.

"Yes, mom," Hyun-Ji answered. "I'm trying to tell him that it's just a quick check. Height, weight... Boring stuff. He doesn't need to be dragged along on his day off, right?"

She turned her body fully towards Haneul so that Jungkook couldn't see her silently implore his mother's assistance with her face.

Haneul looked from Hyun-Ji's pitiful expression to Jungkook's steadfast posture and took a long sip of what remained in her mug.

It may have been a long time ago, but Haneul remembered this very appointment, back when Kookie was Hyori's age. It was hard to forget such a strong reaction from the typically level-headed Jungseok, forever burning the day into her memory.

He truly has no idea what he was walking into.

"No, honey. He should go," Haneul said quickly, spinning on her heels and continuing to the kitchen.

Hyun-Ji visibly deflated.

"See?" Jungkook gloated. "Mom thinks I should go. Let's go, Angel!"

He picked up the car seat and headed for the car, making sure to emphasize his triumph by sticking out his tongue at Hyun-Ji before leaving. This was not going to end well.

As soon as her son and his fiancée were gone, Haneul's laughter rang out through the kitchen.

-- ∞ --

"Jeon Hyori?"

"That's you, Angel!" Jungkook cooed to Hyori as they stood to follow the nurse through the cheerily decorated office. They exchanged friendly smiles with the other parents they passed, one of which had an older child and fawned over the plumpness of Hyori's cheeks.

In the exam room, the nurse recorded Hyori's length and weight, just as Hyun-Ji said, although Jungkook had to hold her chubby arms down so that her head could be measured. Ever the curious one, Hyori kept trying to take the paper measuring tape away from the nurse's hands whenever she came near her with it.

While waiting for the doctor, Jungkook walked around the room with her, pointing out everything from the tropical fish border high on the wall to a hanging photo of a giraffe parent grooming the head of its young.