• 62 •

——    ——

"I talked to the neighbors already. Mr. and Mrs. Liu next door are there if you guys need anything or if there's an emergency. Don't be afraid to go to them. They're really nice."

"Ok," Hyun-Ji nodded, following Haneul down the stairs with one of her bags. Jungseok then took it and placed it outside with the rest once they reached the bottom.

"I don't even have to ask you to take care of Kookie while were gone. You already do," she smiled.

"I'll make sure he rests and eats well," Hyun-Ji said, nodding again.

"Thank you, honey. Kiss my baby for me, and send me a video if she does anything new."

"We're only leaving for a week," Jungseok chuckled. "We'll be back next Wednesday."

"She might decide to start walking in that time!" Haneul whined.

"Hyori is not going to magically learn how to walk while we're gone, and if she does, you'll be back in a few days to see it," he smiled.

Haneul turned from her husband and raised her brow to emphasize her request. "Video, please?"

"Yes, ma'am," Hyun-Ji giggled.

The Jeon's took turns embracing her, with Haneul lingering a little longer. She held Hyun-Ji at arm's length, her concerned Bambi eyes that looked just like Jungkook's searching her daughter's.

"Are you going to be ok?" Haneul asked.

Hyun-Ji smiled reassuringly. "I'm ok, mom."

"Are you sure? Because I will stay here if you need me."

"No, please," Hyun-Ji waved her off. "I'm fine. Go and enjoy your trip."

Haneul regarded her a little longer before acquiescing. "I'm only a call away. Ok?"

"Ok. I promise I'm ok," Hyun-Ji said, smiling brighter.

"My strong girl," she said, hugging her tightly again. "We'll text when we land."

"Have a great trip!" Hyun-Ji said.

She stood in the doorway and waved again as they climbed into the waiting shuttle taking them to the airport, then softly closed the front door. Silently, she went back to the second floor and eased into their bedroom as quietly as she could.

Only the bean sprout that was his ponytail was visible from within the nest of pillows he made around himself. That, and the cold pack resting on the back of his neck. She smiled sadly at his current state and carefully sat next to him, placing a gentle hand on his back.

"Your parents just left," she whispered. "Do you need anything?"

His ponytail moved from side to side as he slowly shook his head, and Hyun-Ji's mouth pressed into a straight line. Being the most boisterous in the house, it was hard to see him taken down like this. The small comfort was that the medication she had left for him on their nightstand was gone, as was some of the water in the glass next to his prescription bottle.