• 79 •

——  ∞  ——

Waking up next to Jungkook was her preference by far, but this was the next best thing. After moving the arm that was draped over her fluffy, snoring cloud, Hyun-Ji yawned and stretched out like a star in the bed big enough for three. Akuma rolled over and rested his heavy head on her stomach, giving her an upside-down smile.

"Good morning, Little Brother."

Her hand disappeared into his fur and his tongue flopped out of his mouth as he panted. A look at her phone told her that Akuma had kindly allowed her an extra 15 minutes of sleep this morning compared to yesterday. It was almost 7. Jungkook was hopefully still sleeping if Hyori allowed him the same, so she sent him a good morning text.

She looked down at icy blue eyes currently staring into her soul. "Let me up."

Before she could finish her sentence, he had twisted his body around and dove from the bed. After a quick stop in the bathroom, Hyun-Ji went about her recently adopted morning routine and followed Akuma through the house and down the stairs where he spun in circles waiting for her to put on her shoes. He dashed out of the door as soon as it was open wide enough.

Taking a separate course, she followed the sandy-colored path around the house to the gardens in the rear. Trees that reached tall toward the clouds shaded her slow steps through the tailored shrubs and marble vases while the flowers perfumed the air with their delicate fragrance. The surroundings alone caused her mind to wander just as much as her steps did.

Picking up where it left off, it wandered down a rose petal covered aisle holding a soft colored bouquet bound in satin ribbon, her arm linked with her father's as he led her toward her happily ever after. Her waiting love, eyes shimmering like the sun on a crystal lake, would give his promise to love her eternally before lifting the veil covering her face and sealing his vow with a kiss, tying the unfinished knot he had given her in the basket of a Ferris wheel on that warm spring night.

Her smile couldn't be contained, not even if she gave it an honest try. Whatever unseen person watching the security camera partially hidden by the creeping vines on the side of the house probably thought she looked like a love-dazed fool sitting in front of the gently flowing fountain, smiling at nothing.

After all of the pain she had been through, she'd earned the carefree luxury of being one for a little while.

She imagined their families cheering for their newly formed union before pouring bubbling celebrations into champagne glasses and toasting to their happy life. Taehyungie would probably give embarrassing anecdotes about Jungkook not making the best choices in his romantic and even academic life but that the love they shared was one that not everyone found in their lifetimes, even after spending a lifetime searching for it. Her fiancé, now husband, would hide his face and laugh at his friend's brutal honesty.

Then drag her name in it too, because if he's going down, the whole ship is going down with him.

And he'd be right.

Her laughter popped the bubble of her daydream just in time for Akuma to find her again. With him at her heels like a guard, she stood and explored the sprawling gardens a little more before heading back inside.

Just as the day prior, she was greeted with the delicious aroma of breakfast. Cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla wafted through the air, luring her to find the source. Had she not been heading in the direction of the kitchen already, she would have changed her course to investigate.