• 57 •

This chapter has a soundtrack
——    ——

'You should smile more often.'

'You know that's only reserved for special people.'

'That means I'm special?'

'I think you know the answer to that

'I think you know the answer to that.'

Seokjin dried his face with a plush hotel towel and stared at his reflection in the mirror, at how much his features had changed since he last saw her. Silver paths streaked through raven hair like meteorites through the night sky, and in the center of his forehead sat a permanent scowl, a vertical line of stress that was visible even when his face was held neutral.

He dried off the water that had trailed down his arms, wiping over the artwork that covered them. Vibrant colors contrasted starkly with black shading, the tattooed insignia of his family that traveled up the entirety of his arms and down the entirety of his back.

A powerful dragon descending a waterfall, its body curving on his path down his back symbolized the koi that continued swimming against the current, against impossible adversity until it reached the top, its reward being the transformation into the dragon that traveled back down.

A pink koi, a small fish still on its journey up the waterfall was protected by the dragon, a look of hope etched in its expression. Hope that it too could become like the dragon descending. A similar koi was tattooed on his forearm. Amongst the vibrant artwork, it was the only element that wasn't colored in.

I hadn't been colored in with scented washable markers in 12 years.

He tore his eyes away from the blank space in his heart and continued preparing for the day.

He dressed, donning dark jeans and a white shirt that completely covered his branding, leaving the world ignorant of the knowledge of his questionable past. A sweater went over it, and he looked just as normal as the rest of the population. Putting on his shoes and coat, he felt oddly numb. It was unknown what he was walking into, but he hoped this was an idea he wouldn't regret.

He parked his rented car at their chosen location and got out, choosing to walk over sitting in silence. Slow steps strolled, a luxury his work didn't often afford him, looking up at the overcast sky. It looked like the promise of rain would be fulfilled within a few hours.

"Seokjin?"

Slow steps halted and a hollow feeling wrenched his middle at the sound of her voice. He hesitated, drawing in a deep breath before turning around to face the reality of his greatest failure.