• 3 •

-- ∞ --

Savory aromas roused her from her slumber, enticing her with the promise of a full belly. Hers was empty, but no complaints were made considering what had been experienced in lieu of lunch.

Under her cheek wasn't the warmth of his chest, as she'd expected. She sat up to find she was alone in the room, still brightly lit by the afternoon sun. His alarm clock told her she had slept past the time when Hyori should be awake, and the switched-off baby monitor told her she needn't worry.

Her stomach feeling like it was starting to gnaw at her spinal column told her to go investigate the delicious smells filtering into the room.

She padded silently to the kitchen and found him removing a takeaway container from a paper bag, Hyori cradled in the other arm and the bottle she was drinking from being held up by his cheek. He was so focused on multitasking that he hadn't yet noticed her standing there.

He mumbled aloud every action he completed to their child, occasionally asking her a question that invariably went unanswered. He didn't seem to mind. The table was set quickly considering he only had one hand, and he looked so comfortable doing it that one wouldn't think he was only six weeks into being a father.

"Come on. Let's go wake up mommy from her coma," he said to the bundle in his arms.

"Mommy is already awake," she smiled.

His head quickly turned in her direction, making him drop the perfectly balanced bottle, which he then had to catch with his hand and replace before the tyrant angered.

"I forgot mommy was part ninja cat," he sighed. "Your mom was right. You need bells on your feet when you walk around the house."

Hyun-Ji merely giggled. She had successfully scared everyone in the house now.

"Something smells delicious," she said, eyeing the spread on the table.

"I figured since I interrupted lunch that we could have an early dinner," he said.

"Thank you," she said sweetly, crossing the distance between him and pulling him into a kiss.

When she pulled away he was...

Blushing?

"Let's eat," he breathed, turning away and pulling out a chair for her before sitting adjacent.

She raised a brow and didn't remark on his behavior, but she did notice he wasn't making eye contact with her and his leg was rapidly bouncing again.

Her preparation of his plate came to a pause when he added chewing his bottom lip to the list of nervous ticks he was exhibiting.

"Are you ok?" She asked.

His eyes shifted. "Mhm."

"You're a bad liar. What is it?"

She stifled a giggle when he mouthed the word 'fuck' and looked away. Giving him time to gather his thoughts, she continued waiting patiently while serving both of their plates since his hands were still occupied.

"I... may have said something earlier," he began.

"Uh-huh?" Hyun-Ji prodded.

"It may have been said... because I was in the moment." He said his words carefully, each one making his nervous smile grow wider.