• 74 •

This chapter has a soundtrack.
Start it when you see the music notes.
—— ∞ ——

"Mr. Kim."

"Jungkook."

Stepping through the threshold of the Jeon residence, Seokjin appeared to be in his work attire. Despite the absence of the navy blue blazer that matched his tailored slacks and the unbuttoned sleeves of his white dress shirt being rolled up, he still looked more put together than Jungkook ever had in his life, perhaps with the exception of prom night. He only knew of that occasion from photos.

On the older's face was the hardest expression Jungkook had ever seen him wear. Even more so than the one he wore when inquiring about Hyori's unintended conception. After closing the door, he unconsciously took another step back, and it wasn't just to allow his visitor entry into the living room.

It was to get out of strike range too.

"Where is my daughter?"

His tone was calm but still harboring a bit of an edge. Or maybe Jungkook was overthinking again and projecting his emotions onto the older. He probably just wanted to see his daughter with his own eyes before he could be put his assumed anxiety to rest.

"She's upstairs in the bathroom, I think, sir."

"Hm," he nodded. "You're home already."

"Yes sir," he nodded. "A friend of Rose's had me released."

"I'm familiar with the Choi's. His daughter has been repaid. Even well-intended favors could be used as a bargaining chip later, and I'd prefer no one to hold any power over my family."

"Family, sir?"

Jungkook looked down at the hand Seokjin extended to him, his eyes involuntarily traveling up to the curiously unfinished yet vibrantly colored tattoos his raised sleeve revealed. After hurriedly wiping away the sweat from his palm, he shook Seokjin's hand. Meeting his eyes, Jungkook also saw more sincerity than he ever had before.

"Thank you, Jungkook," he said. "For rescuing my daughter."

A slow and relieved smile formed. "I love her, sir. I would never let anyone hurt her."

"I know," Seokjin said, his brow softening. "And drop the formalities, son. You sound like my employee."

"Yes sir— I mean..."

Still holding onto his hand, Seokjin stared at Jungkook while the gears spun in the younger's mind.

"...Dad?"

"I knew you would get there eventually."

With the handshake finally ended, Jungkook let out the breath he was holding. "I thought you were going to kill me."

Seokjin exhaled a chuckle and shook his head. "Why would I kill you?"

"Because Hyun-Ji was hurt and you may have held me responsible."

"I would only blame you if you were directly responsible. You didn't put her in harm's way. You got her out of it."

The rapid sound of tiny hands slapping against the floor caught his attention. Two pigtails jostled about as Hyori crawled at top speed toward the pair in the living room.

"Baba!"

"Little girl." The greeting was a statement spoken in his usual quiet monotone.