• 36 •

This chapter has a soundtrack
——    ——

One Month Later

"You're doing great, Jungkook."

Jungkook, standing a few meters away, smiled as he caught the ball that his therapist Brandon bounced to him, then tossed it back. He leaned slightly to catch it again and felt his body beginning to tip a little too far for his comfort, but Alex, the assistant behind him, held him steady using a special belt around his waist.

"You've got this. I barely needed to hold on that time," Alex encouraged.

"Thank you," Jungkook said. 

The drill was to improve his balance, which was one of the biggest hurdles keeping him at the center.

"At the rate you're going, you won't need this belt at all soon," she said.

"I'm trying," Jungkook smiled, throwing the ball back to Brandon.

"You work like your ready to go home. I thought we were friends here." Alex joked.

"We are," Jungkook laughed and reached for the ball. "This is fun but I, um... I want to sleep in... my own bed."

"You're almost there," Brandon said as he tossed the ball back. "I think a week or two, and you'll be discharged to outpatient therapy."

"Yeah?" Jungkook brightened.

"Yeah," Brandon smiled. "You've made great progress."

The news made excitement blossom in his chest, and now he couldn't wait to be finished with therapy for the day so that he could tell Noona.

She was on her way there with Hyori for their daily visit and he didn't want to be late again. Her next semester had started and although her time was limited now, she still faithfully spent some of it with him every day, even if it was a little shorter than he'd like.

Admitting that fact was unlikely, but he would never ask more of her. She already did so much outside of him that he was grateful for the time he had.

The thought of her morphed his excitement into another feeling he couldn't quite name. She made him nervous. The best kind of nervous. The kind that made his heart beat faster even though he was sitting still.

Brandon's voice as he caught the ball again pulled Jungkook from his thoughts. "Great job. Let's head on over to the parallel bars, and then we're done for today."

"Ok." Jungkook took careful steps with Alex walking closely by in case he lost his balance, and breathed a little sigh of relief when he made it to his next station without issue. He held onto the parallel bars and looked at Brandon for instruction.

"Walk with one foot in front of the other in a straight line like you're on a tightrope. Small steps, looking straight ahead."

Jungkook nodded and began to walk, resting one hand on the bar just in case.

"Make sure you keep looking straight ahead," Brandon coached when his focus began to drift and his body swayed.