• 53 •

This chapter has a soundtrack
Hope you like violins
—— ——

The patio door was closed silently so as to not wake anyone sleeping inside. Puffy down blanket draped over his shoulder, Jungkook softly walked across the deck, his steps making the dormant grass crinkle beneath his feet. Hyun-Ji sat criss-cross in the center of the yard upon another blanket, waiting for him, her head tilted toward the darkened heavens. He unlaced his boots and kicked them off at the blanket's edge and sat to her right, wrapping the second blanket he brought around their chilled bodies.

The night sky was painted deep shades of purple, blue, and black. The clouds were few, allowing the moon in waning gibbous to illuminate the yard as well as the souls that sat huddled together under its light. The weather had been kind, albeit a little cold, giving the couple an unobstructed view of the cosmos.

Far away diamonds glittered above them, the captors of their attention. Now that his eyes had adjusted to the dark, he could see the small smile that lifted the corners of her mouth as she silently absorbed one of her loves.

She looked happy. The quiet happiness that tranquility provides.

Changing his mind, he laid on his back, gently pulling her to lay with him and draping the blanket over their bodies. She nestled tightly against his left side and the heat radiating from him warmed her better than the blanket did. After a few minutes, she didn't feel the effects of the cold at all.

Together, they gazed at the celestial bodies above in silent admiration. They had just gotten home from laser tag and the dinner that followed when he suggested the idea before she could say she was going to bed. She had class in the morning, but with sparkling eyes that rivaled their current view, how could she refuse him?

His hypnotism was as potent as ever, leaving her hopelessly entranced.

He had remembered the smallest thing she had said only once, just like when he filled their bedroom with her favorite flower on her birthday. The latter occasion felt like it happened ages ago, so much had transpired since then.

"You always remember the smallest things about me, even though I only told you once," she said. "I wish I was that good with details."

He breathed out a laugh. "My memory wasn't the best even before the accident, but when it comes to someone I care about, it's a lot easier.

"And... I care about you," he softly added, the hand resting around her waist beginning a slow caress.

She angled her head to look at him for a moment and smiled. Had it been daylight, she was sure she would see his face reddening.

"I care about you too," she confessed. "A lot."

Her suspicion was accurate. Her admission made his cheeks tingle and a smile impossible to erase no matter how hard he bit his lower lip.

He cleared his throat, attempting to regain his composure. "What stars am I looking at?" He asked, changing the subject from himself.

"I don't know all of the constellations but..." She paused as she searched the sky, pointing when she spotted one she recognized. "See that line of three stars?"