• 11 •

This chapter has a soundtrack, starting at the music notes.
🎵
-- ∞ --

The final layer of red velvet confection was placed on the cake tower, making it three levels high. Cream cheese icing peeked from between the layers and Hyun-Ji decided to spread more across the top only instead of spreading it down the sides. The contrast between the red and white layers looked eye-pleasing.

On her way back to the fridge, she stopped at the baby swing that rocked Hyori back and forth. The infant was in her own world, trying to reach little smiling tiger and elephant plushies that dangled above her head, her pacifier bobbing up and down. Hyun-Ji bent down to her level and quickly kissed her cheek, to which the infant barely reacted. The toys hanging above were much more interesting.

Hips swaying to the music playing on her phone, she opened the fridge and took out the strawberries that she had to hide to keep Jungkook from devouring them before they could make it to his cake. The vibrant berries featured stripes of white chocolate drizzle, the alternating colors matching the cake perfectly. She opened the container and began placing them all around the outer edge of the top layer, and a few more against the side, decorating the cake stand that the tower of sweetness rested on.

She hoped he liked it. He seemed like a chocolate lover, with the way the two of them polished off jars of Nutella when she was still pregnant.

The front door opening broke her concentration. She walked from behind the kitchen island to investigate who could be home this early in the day, to find the last person she expected to see.

"What are you doing home so early?" She whined while joining him in an embrace.

"Good to see you, too," Jungkook chuckled, placing a chaste kiss on her neck. "The disrespect in this house, even on my birthday!"

"I didn't mean it like that!" She said, playfully hitting his chest. "You kind of ruined your surprise. What happened to work?"

"Rae kicked me out for the day as a gift."

"That was kind of her," she smiled.

"Yeah, Rae is great. She has a son so she's really understanding when something comes up with you and Hyori. I like it there."

"Good! I'm glad you're happy and she's treating you well."

He nodded in agreement and then changed the subject, his voice going an octave higher. "Where's my Angel?" He said while walking in the direction of the kitchen.

"Wait! Your surprise is in there!" Hyun-Ji trotted after him but her words fell on deaf ears.

"I won't look- You made me a cake?!" He gasped.

"You just said you wouldn't look!"

Jungkook disregarded her annoyance and made a beeline for Hyori, who's eyes widened when he entered the room. He freed her from her confinement and smothered her with kisses on her plump cheek before turning his attention to the layered dessert waiting on the island.

Hyun-Ji rounded the corner just in time to bat his hand away from the strawberries. "You have to wait!" She laughed.

"Why?"

"Because everyone else isn't here! Your parents are at work, my mother is coming, and so are Rose and Taehyungie. They're all expecting to sing to you later and I would like to not have half of the cake eaten."

"But it's my birthday," he argued.

"I'm aware."

"And shouldn't I get whatever I want on my birthday?" He said, nudging her arm with his elbow.