• 76 •

This chapter has a soundtrack.
(That doesn't fit the ending, but you'll know it when you see it.)
—— ∞ ——

Loud sniffing next to her ear began to rouse Hyun-Ji from her sleep. A few moments of her not moving later, Akuma grumbled and nudged her with his wet nose until he could no longer be ignored, licking her face for good measure when she began to sit up.

"Ok, ok," Hyun-Ji giggled, shielding her face from any more kisses.

With that step of his mission complete, Akuma dived off the bed and began to pace back and forth, tail wagging and eyes bright as ever for it to be only 6:40 am.

"I guess you want to go out," Hyun-Ji said, stretching.

Akuma yawned loudly, giving her the answer she suspected.

"I don't know if anyone is awake yet but I'll take you," she said, leaving the warmth of the bed. "Give me a minute?"

He danced around as she walked but sat guard at the bathroom while he waited for her to finish. His patience was so delicate that as soon as she looked at the bedroom door, he bolted from his seat and beat her there.

In alpaca printed pajama pants and one of Jungkook's sweatshirts, Hyun-Ji followed Akuma through the winding hallways that brought them to the main foyer. She slid into her sneakers and opened the door, and Akuma dashed out into the grass beyond the brick-paved driveway to find his favorite tree.

Now that the sun was up, Hyun-Ji could appreciate the surrounding grounds of Seokjin's home. It was just as beautiful outside as it was inside. Thick and verdant grass stretched all the way to the far edges of the property, the color broken up by colorful flowers and shrubs so well-groomed that a master landscaper probably regarded the grounds as his best work. In the distance, Hyun-Ji could hear the babbling of a fountain and she began to follow the shrub-lined pathway in search of it. The sand-colored stone path led her to the rear of the estate, revealing a garden area worthy of the cover of a magazine.

A large fountain was the central focus and the current meeting place of a few birds bathing in gentle waters spilling gracefully over the edge of the rounded basin

A large fountain was the central focus and the current meeting place of a few birds bathing in gentle waters spilling gracefully over the edge of the rounded basin. The landscaping was divided symmetrically with all points leading back to the fountain, and just for a few moments, Hyun-Ji strolled down the smooth pathway and let her mind wander.

She let it wander to daydreams of their respective families gathered in their honor to celebrate and wish them a lifetime of happiness. She imagined smiling faces watching her as she walked with the train of her gown sparkling like a sea of diamonds behind her, but the only person she watched was the one waiting for her in front of the fountain.

How would he react to seeing her? The possible answers made her tuck her lower lip between her teeth to cover the smile that fought its way out anyway. Daydreaming had escalated to fantasizing, and Hyun-Ji stifled a giggle, feeling tingles in her cheeks when picturing his expression. He would probably cry. Her fiancé was a lovable, protective cinnamon roll personified.