• 27 •

—— ——

"What are you doing here?

All eyes first turned to Areum and then to the recipient of her quiet anger. The pair stared at each other in contempt, and didn't take long before the dots were connected, it becoming very clear exactly who he was.

Hyun-Ji's father.
Seojun.

Chest heaving up and down from his labored breathing, he narrowed his eyes at his estranged wife, taken aback by her question. "What am I doing here? Why wouldn't I be here, Areum? Our daughter got hurt!"

"Since when do you care about her getting hurt?" Areum shot back. "You sure didn't care when you were—"

"She's still my daughter!"

"Oh, is she now? Is she really? Because you haven't treated her like one. You've never treated her like one!"

"Mom," Hyun-Ji pleaded, looking up at her and slipping her hand into her mother's, her eyes welling up all over again.

"No one wants you here," Areum continued. "You act like Hyun-Ji doesn't exist one moment and cry that you still care the next. Why would you even bother to come when you're just going to disappear all over again?"

"Why would I not come when my daughter's face is all over THE FUCKING NEWS?!"

Seojun opened his phone, quickly finding the report that had notified him of Hyun-Ji's accident, shoving the device in Areum's face:

Jeon Jungkook(20) and Han Hyun-Ji(20), the most recent victims of what local residents call poor highway maintenance. Residents are outraged by yet another tragic accident caused by the government's long-standing negligence, this time affecting an entire family.

Witnesses say Jeon and Han's young child was also a victim in the crash.

Jeon, the driver of the vehicle, had to be airlifted to the nearest level-one trauma center, where his condition is unknown.

Saint Mary's Hospital was the nearest level-one trauma center.

Beside her, Haneul gasped, staring at the screen of her phone in shock at the photos of her children and the disfigured remains of the car that sat in their driveway that very morning.