• 35 •

—— ——

The sprawling manicured lawns, verdant trees, and sparkling crystal lake on the campus of the Rainbow Rehabilitation Center had Hyun-Ji's and Jungkook's noses pressed against the glass of the transport vehicle they rode in. Surrounded by nature and backdropped by a mountain range, the campus could easily be mistaken for the estate of a wealthy business owner. Instead of a palatial mansion, a few large buildings were spread out evenly and connected by flower-lined winding trails, all centered around an azure lake.

The campus was beautiful, erasing his fear that he would be trapped in another hospital and unable to go home until he was deemed ready to rejoin society and trusted enough to not mistakenly set himself on fire while trying to perform a menial task.

Like getting dressed.

The small, luxury van shuttling them stopped in front of the neuro-rehabilitation building and two smiling individuals were there to greet them. By the time the tour guide had finished helping Jungkook out of the shuttle, his parents had joined up with them.

The inside was just as gorgeous as the outside and looked anything but clinical. They were met with the interior of a modern home: vaulted ceilings, polished hardwood floors, a calming color scheme, tasteful artwork, and a piano that sat in front of a wall of windows overlooking a furnished deck. The site was impressive, and he mused that he would be first in line to sign a deed if this were an actual home and not a facility.

Bambi eyes widened to capacity as Jungkook and his family were shown what the center had to offer. The physical therapy and gym wing was his personal favorite, but they offered a multitude of services from speech therapy to driver simulation.

His suite was inviting and complete with a double bed, sitting area and tv, a huge bathroom, and a stunning view of the grounds right outside his window.

His parents were ready to sign the agreement paperwork before the tour even concluded. It was expensive, very expensive, but based on the research they did on the center's success rate, this was clearly the best choice for their son.

He was moved in the next day.

—— ——

Jungkookie would like to FaceTime.

Hyun-Ji's breath caught in her throat and the blanket was thrown off her body almost instantly. She turned on the lamp next to their bed and ran a hurried hand through her hair before answering his call.

"Hi," she smiled softly, feeling her stomach flip at the milestone this was.

"Hi," he echoed, quickly going back to chewing his lower lip.

He was already in bed laying down on his side, his phone presumably propped up on his nightstand. It was his first night of many to come at the center and the first night she didn't sleep in the same room with him since the accident.

"I wanted to... talk but... I got nervers—nervous," he chuckled. "Sorry."

As soon as the words left his mouth he began to redden. Hyun-Ji momentarily lost the ability to breathe and decided that this was, without question, the most adorable thing he'd ever done.