• 20 •

--  ∞ --

"What kind of dress are you looking for?"

"Um..."

Hyun-Ji opened her mouth to speak but no other sound produced. She hadn't been to a wedding since she was much younger, and she hadn't even seriously thought about the details of her own until very recently. Her eyes darted around the gown-filled room as she tried to come up with an answer for the smiling woman in front of her.

The pair of patiently waiting bridal attendants saw the indecision written plainly on her face, and the lead attendant, Hana, began offering suggestions to start with. "Would you prefer something traditional or something more modern?"

"Um..."

"Traditional."
"Modern."

The two mothers flanking either side of Hyun-Ji spoke at the same time. Areum and Haneul looked at each other and exchanged tight smiles and uncomfortable chuckles, both equally surprised at the other's choice.

Hyun-Ji looked from one mother to the other and gulped. "Maybe we should look at both?"

Hana smiled at Hyun-Ji and a glimmer of sympathy shone in her eyes.

Also in her eyes was a look that said 'blink twice if you need rescuing.'

"Ok! I will select a few different styles of each to start out with. Feel free to look around and pick out any dress you think you may like to try. My partner Elise here will accompany you and take any dresses you like to the fitting area."

Hyun-Ji thanked Hana and turned to face the expanse of dresses that filled the shop. Countless gowns and hanboks lined the perimeter, while select designer pieces were featured on displays of their own. Elegant robes of silk lay draped over mannequin stands, causing Hyun-Ji's breath to catch in her throat. Just about every gown she saw was gorgeous in its own way.

Butterflies bounced around her stomach. She was actually getting married in five months. The reality was still setting in.

She began to shop amongst the displays with both mothers in tow along with attendant Elise, touching some of the dresses she saw but not selecting any.

"Oh! Look at this one!" Areum said, walking over to a ball gown on a mannequin. The bodice was made of intricate lace while the beaded skirt gently billowed out, almost brushing the floor.

"It's really pretty, mom," Hyun-Ji smiled.

"What about this one?" Haneul called.

She turned around to Haneul who stood next to a pale pink and white hanbok. Delicate flowers were hand embroidered all over the skirt and the long-sleeved jacket was made of beautiful silk.

"That's pretty too!" Hyun-Ji beamed.

"Baby, it's ok if you want to go with a wedding gown. You're young and I'm sure you might want something a little different," Areum said sweetly. 

"But how is she supposed to bow in a sheath dress?" Haneul said, just as honeyed. "She'll burst out of the back of it before her knees even touch the floor!"

"Eomma!" Hyun-Ji frowned.

"No offense, girlie. You have a very nice shape. I wish I still looked like that."

"Ok, so maybe not a sheath dress. What if Hyun-Ji wants a ball gown like this one?" Areum asked, forcing a smile as she held out a gown with a fluffy tulle skirt.