• 31 •

—— ——

"Jungkook?!"

Hyun-Ji bolted upright, afraid that what she just felt wasn't real, that it was just a dream or a cruel figment of her imagination induced by her increasing stress and nonexistent sleep, but no.

He had squeezed her hand. He was still squeezing her hand. She looked down to see his fingers still closed around hers.

Not daring to let his hand go, she stood and moved her chair aside with her leg, coming to stand next to him, shaky fingers stroking his hair.

"Jungkook, can you hear me?"  She studied his face, looking for any sign he was truly waking up, again praying that this was real and not a hallucination.

At the mention of his name, his eyes slowly moved back and forth beneath his closed lids.

Hyun-Ji gasped and repeatedly smashed the nurse call button beside his bed, her breathing rate at near hyperventilation as she continued to stare at his face.

Seconds later, Jisoo knocked and entered the room, concern etched in her brow at being called to the usually quiet room so urgently. A pale and trembling Hyun-Ji stood next to her patient's bed, her eyes as wide as an owl's.

"He's waking up," she cried shakily.

Jisoo quickly turned the lights on and came to his bedside. "Jungkook, this is your nurse, Jisoo. Can you open your eyes?"

His lips moved as if he were trying to speak, and gradually his eyes began to open. Hyun-Ji covered her cries with her free hand upon seeing his coffee-colored irises again.

Jisoo smiled at his response. "Now I need you to squeeze my hand and then let it go."

Hyun-Ji held her breath. His other hand slowly gripped Jisoo's and release it, and Jisoo flashed her a smile that had so much hope in it that Hyun-Ji cried even harder.

Jisoo continued talking to him and Hyun-Ji watched him respond. He couldn't talk because of the breathing tube and his movements were slow, but he was understanding them. After ten endless days, her prayers were finally answered.

She had to call his parents.

"Jungkook, I'm going to get my phone from the couch. I'll only be a second, ok?"

He held her hand tighter, stopping her before she could pull away. He finally looked at her as if pleading with her, tears filling his eyes and quickly spilling over.

It was then she noticed his eyes were no longer the same. His left iris was no longer brown, but nearly black.

She wiped his tears away just as quickly and ignored her own. "I'm not leaving you. I'm just getting my phone to call mom and dad, ok? It's right across the room."

He finally relaxed his grip and she retrieved her phone as fast as she could. He never took his eyes off her, and as soon as she returned, their hands joined again. Shaking, she tapped Haneul's contact, only having to wait for one ring before she answered.