• 70 •

This chapter has a soundtrack 
——  ∞  ——

Memories surged, flooding his mind's eye to the point of overwhelm. The teasing of Hyun-Ji, the fake apology at the prom, the manipulation wrapped in the silk of well-meaning intentions and the concern of a friend.

The sickening words said about her in the boys' bathroom and the altercation that followed. The reason for the mist of blood on the right lapel of his jacket. The missing pieces of his inexplicable dislike finally fell into place, the revelation sending a dose of adrenaline through his veins with such force and speed that his entire body erupted into goosebumps.

I'm going to kill you.

Kwan let go of Hyun-Ji's wrists, his eyes never leaving Jungkook, not even when Hyun-Ji scrambled away and fled to the corner of the room.

Don't get angry.

"Hyun-Ji, leave."

His order went unfollowed, as he expected. In a flight or fight situation, Hyun-Ji freezes. It was something he'd witnessed her do before.

Watch his hands.

Kwan cracked his neck and straightened his shirt, disheveled from his struggle with Hyun-Ji. "I guess it's too late to say 'this isn't what it looks like', huh?"

He's trying to disarm you by being calm.

"You know you made this easy and pushed her right to me, right?" Kwan smirked.

"Hyun-Ji, get out of here and call your brother."

Jungkook hoped his raised voice and the reminder of her safety net would be enough to free her from the shock that held her in place but she seemed to only press her body further into the corner. She wasn't going to move without physical help.

It wasn't safe for her here. He needed her as far away from this predator as possible.

"I was never going to keep her for long," Kwan shrugged. "I was going to send her back home once I was finished."

He's trying to make you angry.
Don't get angry.

With Kwan stationary for the moment, Jungkook took careful steps toward her, extending his hand for her to take.

"I figured if I got as far up her ass as you are, I could find out what makes her so special to you. Oh, and I meant that exactly how it sounded," he ended with a chuckle.

Stay calm.

She looked up at the lifeline he extended, and just as a shaky hand reached up to accept it, Kwan took the opportunity and charged toward him.

Stay calm.

Kwan's arm drew back as he ran forward and Jungkook lifted his knee, shooting his leg out in a side kick that connected with his stomach. His body caved inward and he stumbled back, grabbing for the air that had been knocked out of him.

From the fire in his eyes, Jungkook could see that the kick wasn't enough to stop Kwan's aggression. Clenched fists lifted into a guard as he moved away from Hyun-Ji. He had to take the fight away from her or she'd get hurt.

Kwan wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and stood straight again. "Fuck! You don't kick like a bitch either!" Adjusting his pants a little higher, he put up a guard and walked toward Jungkook.