• Reflection •

——  ∞  ——

——  ∞  ——

At the time I started writing this reflection, I had just updated chapter 80. It's surreal, being this close to completing two books that are this large that have been received so well by all of you.

To the readers that started but didn't feel like it was for them, that didn't like where I took the story, or that felt the book was too cliche or predictable, thank you for giving it a chance anyway.

To the readers that stuck with me through all the ups and downs, the victories and losses, and the setbacks and accomplishments of my characters, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I truly appreciate each and every one of you.

Although I began writing for my own enjoyment, it feels great to know that so many of you love my work. You took my books with zero reads to a combined total of 1 million at the time of this writing.

That still blows my mind!
You're awesome and I can't thank you enough!

Thanks for listening to me simp for you guys for a minute.

Unconditionally was created by popular demand. So many of you weren't ready to let go of Jungkook and Hyun-Ji, and as their creator, I understood wholeheartedly. There was just one problem:

I never intended for 40 Weeks to have a sequel.

I tied up the book up with a nice bow to the best of my abilities. They were back together, they were happy, and Hyori was finally here. How was I going to continue the story from there?

What I liked most about writing 40 Weeks was the gradual connection and the magnetism between two people that was strong enough to overcome adversity. I loved the little changes in dynamic, the heart flutters, the excitement, the thrill of being newly in love. 40 Weeks was less about the pregnancy and more about the characters coming together because of it.

The only way I was going to write a sequel was if I could write them falling in love again. But I didn't want to break them up how I did before. They had gotten through suspected infidelity and learned from the experience. They were stronger after coming though it and too deep in love for that to be a reason they fell out of love. They were too strong for someone to come between them.

What if instead of internal struggles like trust and doubt being the cause of their conflict, it was an external one? Something out of their control that they could neither predict nor prevent. Illness could fit that category, and so could an accident.

From that thought came the concept of amnesia. It would be as if time had been rewinded and they would have to fall in love all over again.

And Unconditionally was born.
I wanted to write about them falling in love again. I went into this book knowing very well that amnesia was severely overdone in fiction and I challenged myself to see if I could take a cliché and make it not cliché.