• 71 • (18+)

This chapter has a soundtrack 
——  ∞  ——

Alone again, he took Hyun-Ji's hand and led her inside, up the stairs, and to their bathroom. Lifting her up, he sat her on the counter next to the sink and retrieved the first aid kit from the cupboard.

She watched in silence as he examined her face, arms, and hands, watching contrasting eyes move over her. After dampening a cotton ball with disinfectant, his hands delicately tipped her chin up so he could look at the cut beside her mouth more closely.

"This might sting," he said lowly before gently cleaning the area of dried blood.

She winced slightly when he touched the tender area but kept still until he finished. Innocent chocolate depths looked up at him and his brow drew together at how the right side of her face was beginning to swell and the bruising that stained her cheek.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

Rounded eyes blinked up at him, methodically dismantling what remained of the wall of defense he'd put in place during their earlier argument. With his anger gone and the adrenaline effect worn off, his emotions were just as raw as his lower lip.

"Thank you," she said. "For saving me again."

Gratitude punctured the barrier protecting him. "You don't have to thank me for doing my job."

She looked down at her lap, her fingers beginning to tangle together. "I thought it was a job you didn't want anymore."

"I told you I would always protect you."

She met his gaze again, looking up at him through her lashes, her depths hammering at the emotional wall around him. The heart that had finally slowed to its normal pace doubled its efforts when she looked down, reaching a small hand to hesitantly lift the right side his hoodie and the shirt beneath, exposing his belt and the concealed weapon nestled in the holster attached to it.

Her breathing became shallow as she stared at it, conflict drawing her brow together and parting her lips.

He neither moved nor spoke. There was no point in hiding what she'd already seen at some point during the fight. Instead, he looked into her eyes, gauging her reaction, hoping she understood.

"Why?"

Her breathy question barely reached his ears even though only a small distance separated their faces.

"Because people could come after you because of who your father is. Because of who he was. Dangerous people."

Innocence personified looked up at him again, and he could see the fear beginning to develop in them.

"I don't care what's going on between us," he continued. "I don't care what we are or what we're not to each other. I will always protect you."

She swallowed thickly as she lowered his shirt, tears forming at her waterline. "Thank you," she said. "I need you."

His defenses splintered and it was his turn to swallow hard as he tried to repair the damage. "Then I'm here."

By the smallest fraction, her pouty rose petals lifted into a smile and he'd never wanted to kiss her more than he did at that moment.

Wrapping his arms around her waist instead, he carefully removed her from the counter and placed her on her feet. "Go into the bedroom," he said softly.