• 50 •

—— ——

"I brought you two here because there have been some developments."

Hyun-Ji looked across the cafe table at Jungseok as he spoke, the pensive look on his face telling her that this was going to be a difficult conversation. The corners of his mouth turned down before he took a sip of coffee that the waiter brought to the table, and he kept silent for a few moments longer, running his knuckles against the stubble growing on his jawline. Haneul, sitting beside him, was also silent and just as melancholic, her fingertips tapping against the handle of her mug, her gaze fixed on the steaming brew inside.

Finally, he began, his words cautious. "Haneul already knows what's going on, so we're here to discuss this with you, Hyun-Ji."

Anxiety caused her palms to perspire. She wiped them down her denim-covered thighs and waited for him to explain, the knot in the pit of her stomach growing by the second.

"I got a letter from the insurance company, the ones paying for Jungkook's rehabilitation. They feel Jungkook has recovered enough and are only going to continue paying for his treatment for two more weeks."

"What?" Hyun-Ji whispered, her brow drawing together. "Two weeks? He's not going to be finished by then. Jungkook still needs to be there."

"I know," Jungseok sighed. "I was sure there had to be some mistake, so I called them. I explained to them that he's still recovering, I filed an appeal and one of their doctors reviewed his case, but they feel he can be discharged.

"They feel because he can walk, talk, and eat on his own again that he's rehabilitated enough," he scoffed.

"So what does this mean for him?" Hyun-Ji asked. "What do we do?"

Haneul's mouth pressed into a straight line and Jungseok reached into his pocket, pulling out folded pages stapled together. He unfolded the sheets and smoothed out the creases before placing it on the table in front of Hyun-Ji.

"I called Rainbow and asked how much it would cost per week for Jungkook to continue going until he was completely rehabilitated and these are the figures they gave me."

Nervous fingers touched the page as Hyun-Ji slid the document riddled with scribbled notes and yellow marker highlighting the projected cost of Jungkook's therapy. Her eyes counted the decimal places of the amount, her lips moving fractionally as she multiplied the figure by how many weeks he'd already gone so far...

And the cost of his rehabilitation would be as much as her college education.

Hyun-Ji's chin trembled. "This isn't fair. How could they decide something like this? Have they even talked to anyone there? His therapists?"

Haneul chimed in, her jaw tense. "They're just tired of paying and took the first opportunity to cut his coverage," she grit, taking a sip of her coffee and glaring out of the window beside her.

Hyun-Ji handed the papers back to Jungseok. "What do we do, dad? Jungkook had been saving for months before the accident but everything he has would be gone in a few weeks if we pay for it ourselves."

"No. That money is for the both of you to take care of yourselves and Hyori. You don't have to do anything besides that," he said. "Haneul and I will find a solution to this. I'm going to speak to a lawyer to see if we can legally fight this. If not, I'll just be asking for a raise and working a lot more."