• 10 • (18+)

-- ∞ --

4 am came much too soon.

Jungkook silenced his beeping phone and draped his arm over his eyes with a groan. Any other day he was fine with waking up so early, especially since Hyori was starting to sleep for slightly longer stretches at night at times. He was a morning person that felt more productive when he got up and moved in the early hours of the day while the rest of his peers were still working on their third dream cycles, his fiancée included.

Except for today. Any day but today.

Hyun-Ji hadn't budged at all despite the ringing. She still lay with her head on his chest and an arm wrapped around his waist, her breathing deep and face serene. Wispy hairs had fallen into her eyes and he brushed them away gently so as to not wake her, and the tiniest of smiles formed on his lips.

She looked so cute with her cheek squished against him like that. Like a little chipmunk.

He inhaled deeply, trying to summon the motivation to get out of bed while simultaneously holding her tighter and caressing her soft skin. She was so warm.

This time last year, he, Taehyung, and his two younger brothers had gone indoor skydiving and rock climbing. Taehyung was the only one scared out of his mind to skydive but ended up being the first person to go for a second flight. The entire day was carefree, filled with endless laughs and great people that he was glad to have in his life.

Now he had two more special people with him. Funny how one's life can change so much in only a year. The thought elicited another smile and imagining Hyun-Ji's response to indoor skydiving made that smile widen. He would have to take her soon.

But his smile was a fleeting one that was quickly replaced by a thin line and feelings of melancholy. His time wasn't his own to spend how he pleased today, nor on most days. He had to work, and if he stayed in bed any longer he wouldn't have enough time to run his three miles before his workday started.

He hated running, but martial arts required him to maintain his endurance, or else he wouldn't survive the cardiovascular demands of sparring. It had been far too long since he had added another trophy to his collection, and this tournament was just what he needed to scratch his competitive itch.

Thoughts of the competition alone sparked the motivation he needed to finally disentangle his body from hers, leaving her with the gentle press of his lips against her forehead before rising and stretching his back and neck.

The house was dark and quiet, the only light being from Hyori's muted nightlight coming through the open doorway of the nursery. Not even his mother, the earliest riser of the family, was awake yet. Her snores continuously permeated his parent's bedroom door and it was a wonder that Hyori could even sleep through it. It sounded like a tree being sawed down.

Just like every morning, he walked into the nursery to check on his cherished angel and precious destroyer of intimacy. She had somehow freed her arms from the burrito that she was wrapped in and had rolled over to her side, her mochi-like cheek squished just like her mother's.

He didn't dare try to tuck her back in. That would be walking blindly into a minefield, and Hyun-Ji would have his head for waking her so early.