• 48 •

—— ——

"Hi, guys! Hi, Jimin!"

Smiling, Hyun-Ji closed the front door, dropped her backpack and kicked off her shoes, catching the attention of the small group gathered in the living room who greeted her in kind. Among them was a black and tan ball of fluff, tail wagging at lightning speed. She bent down to pet Yeontan and carefully walked towards the group while he weaved back and forth between her ankles.

A chubby face popped up to look over her father's broad shoulder and spread into a toothy grin that made her marshmallow cheeks even rounder. Her high pitched squeals filled the room as she swung Mimi the peach-colored bunny, making the pearlescent pink balloon tied to her wrist jostle around and hit Jungkook in the head. Used to her abuses, he smiled, unfazed.

"What are you doing here, Taehyungie?" She asked, happy for the nice surprise. He'd been so busy with work lately that it seemed like forever since she last saw him.

Taehyung shrugged, taking another bite of his apple and pointing at Hyori. "It's her birthday."

Hyun-Ji smiled, walking behind Jungkook and running her fingers into his lengthening hair, making him close his eyes and hum in contentment. "It's not her birthday," she said, shaking her head.

"It's March 3rd. We've been over this," Taehyung said.

Jimin leaned on Taehyung's shoulder, covering his giggles with a petite hand. "I said the same thing but he insisted," he said.

If nothing else, Taehyung was consistent. He never missed a "birthday", even calling her via FaceTime to sing happy birthday to Hyori if he couldn't be there in person. It made Hyun-Ji wonder what he'd do on her actual birthday, which was quickly approaching.

Hyori would be one year old on June 3rd. So much had happened since her birth that it didn't feel like that much time had passed at all.

"Hyori, show mama what we practiced," Jungkook grinned, finally coming out of his trance. "Say, 'hi mama'."

He repeated himself a few times to her, waving and pointing to Hyun-Ji before her shimmering Bambi eyes looked up a her mother again. "Hai, mama," Hyori waved.

Hyun-Ji beamed. "Oh my goodness, Hyori! Hi, my baby!"

She leaned down and peppered her plump cheek with kisses, getting a juicy one in return and her hair grabbed and tugged on.

"Oh, kyoot," Taehyung smiled.

Before she could free her tresses from Hyori's iron grip, she felt another kiss on the opposite cheek, this one much gentler, much more tender, taking her by surprise.

From behind his specs, shimmering coffee and onyx orbs locked with hers and a rosy hue splashed across his features as he trapped his lower lip between his teeth. The corners of his mouth lifted into a shy smile and his elusive dimple deciding to make a quick and fleeting appearance like the sun on a partly cloudy day.

"Hi... Hyun-Ji," he said lowly, nervously adjusting his glasses on his face.

"Hi, Jungkookie," she returned, her voice just as light and smile just as sweet.