• 59 •

—— ——

"Hey, you two!"

Just like so many times before, Hyun-Ji was greeted by her welcome home party. Jungkook, at his usual seat on the couch, turned his head when she entered and gave her the sweetest smile that she would never again take for granted. Since he was working again, he wasn't there as often, which was bittersweet. Sweet because he was able to do more of what he used to, but bitter because she had grown so accustomed to seeing him there waiting for her that she felt a shard of disappointment pierce her heart when he wasn't.

"Mommy's home. See? I told you she'd be home soon," he said in his higher pitched parent voice to his small companion, standing in his lap and responding to him in the squeakiest pitch she could. Hyori took her pointer finger out of her drooly mouth and opened her hands toward her mother, her little smile wide as ever and showing off her emerging incisors.

Hyun-Ji's smile widened as she came over to them, her fingers disappearing into raspberry scented hair. Two sets of Bambi eyes sparkled up at her with equal amounts of ardor, and she leaned down to kiss them one by one, starting with Hyori.

"Hi, my baby!" She said, leaving loud smooches on her plump, marshmallow cheek. Turning to her fiancé, her voice softened as she repeated her greeting.

"Hi, my baby," she said lowly, gazing into coffee and onyx so deeply that she could see the exact moment he fell under her trance.

"Hi, Princess," he said, his cheek lifted in a slanted grin.

His eyes fluttered closed just before their lips met. She kissed him slowly and tenderly, ignoring the now constant hair pulling their tiny audience subjected her to until she managed to yank hard enough to separate them.

"Ow! Ok, you tyrant!" Hyun-Ji chuckled as she picked up her daughter and paid her the attention she demanded. Jungkook watched with a smile as Hyun-Ji spun their daughter around until her little body curled into a ball and they were both left dizzy and in a fit of giggles.

While they recovered, he interrupted. "Your mom and uncle are out on the deck. They said they had something to talk to you about."

Hyun-Ji placed Hyori on her hip. "Yes," she confirmed. "Mom said it was important. It feels kind of weird though."

Her mother and uncle had gone years without speaking to each other. Her mother talked as if there was no hope in them repairing their relationship, and even Uncle Yang responded to the subject of her mother with extreme caution.

Now they were together?

Hyun-Ji wanted to take this as a good sign, but all her mind showed her were replays of her mother sitting her down on her princess-themed bed to tell her they couldn't see him anymore. What if they were sitting her down to explain why they couldn't work things out again?

But Hyun-Ji wasn't a child anymore and would keep her relationship with her uncle even if he and her mother weren't able to settle their differences.

"I'm sure things are going to be ok," Jungkook said, drawing her out of her thoughts.

She smiled her agreement and handed Hyori back to him. "I hope so," she said. "I better not keep them waiting."

"I'll be here if you need me," he said, leaving a quick kiss on her cheek.

—— ——