• 23 •

This chapter has a soundtrack
-- --

Soft music filtered through the wooden door, mingling with mirthful voices and laughter. Jungkook rang the doorbell and switched Hyori to the other arm as he and Hyun-Ji waited for entry, smiles creeping on their faces at the sounds of joy beyond the threshold.

The door swung open and Rae beamed at the family. "It's about time! I was starting to think you all weren't coming," she smiled.

Before greetings could even be completed, Rae scooped Hyori from Jungkook's arms and gasped. "Beautiful girl! Look how big you are!"

Used to taking second seat to their daughter by now, Jungkook and Hyun-Ji entered Rae's warm home and shed their coats, smiles on their faces caused by the older woman fawning over Hyori. That was probably the last time they would be allowed to hold their own daughter before they left for the evening, she was so popular.

"Oh, she definitely has your eyes, Jungkook," Rae said, peering at the infant. "She looks like Hyun-Ji with Jungkook's eyes."

Hyun-Ji smiled wider at the comment. Finally, something to do with Hyori went in her favor. After the extremely positive response from every adult in her young life, Hyori now called everyone dada, including her mother, to get the reaction that entertained her beyond explanation.

"Careful," Jungkook said. "She likes necklaces." Jungkook had to remove the beaded chain he wore from her mouth on more than one occasion. Hyori had already quietly honed in on Rae's and had begun to try and pick it up from her neck with little fingers.

Into the foyer bounded a boy of about 10 years old, holding a portable game system. He bounced right beside Rae and instantly offered his index finger for Hyori to grab, which she obliged while staring in curiosity at the new face.

"This is my son, Eli," Rae smiled. "Say hello to Mr. Jungkook and Ms. Hyun-Ji, baby."

Eli said a soft-spoken hello to both, revealing a charmingly toothy grin that he would soon grow into. "Wanna play Super Smash Bros?" He asked.

"Eli, let them eat first," Rae said, shaking her head.

Jungkook smiled at his extroversion. "I will in a bit, ok?"

"Ok." And Eli was off again, skipping through the hall, his steps thudding against the hardwood floors.

Rae led them to the conjoined living area and kitchen where the rest of his coworkers socialized amongst the heavenly aroma of the meal Rae had prepared for the holiday gathering. At the end of every year, Rae hosted a holiday dinner as one of the ways she showed her appreciation of her diligent staff.

"Hello, beautiful!" David stood and warmly embraced Hyun-Ji. "And... mediocre," he directed at Jungkook, also hugging him.

"I'm mediocre but you're still thirsty for me," Jungkook joked.

I mean, who isn't?

"Eh, you're a warm 4 out of 10 at best," David fired back, scratching his beard. "Now, if you got me drunk, we might be able to work something out."