• 83 •

——  ∞  ——

"Maybe you should take the day off?"

Jungkook took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes with his hand, taking what little relief shielding them from the light gave him. It wasn't a full migraine but it would be well on its way soon.

"I'm sure Rae will understand you calling off," Hyun-Ji continued, resting a hand on his back.

"No," he said, applying pressure to the space between his brows. "I should go."

"You should rest," she said softly.

He put his glasses on the nightstand and looked over at her worried expression. "I'll take some medicine and get through it."

She made her skepticism clear by pressing her lips into a straight line. "Are you sure? You shouldn't work if you have a migraine."

"I'm sure," he nodded. "It's not a migraine." Not yet, anyway.

Without a word, she left the room and Jungkook changed into his plain work outfit of a black shirt and jeans to the sound of Hyori babbling to his father. Jungseok spoke back to her, answering her incoherent questions as if she were speaking just as clearly as the other members of the house.

Jungkook opened their bedroom door, startling his now one-year-old daughter wearing a Hello Kitty onesie. Her head craned back to look up at him and identical eyes stared at each other in an impromptu staring contest that ended with her breaking into a drooly grin and running back into his parents' room.

He watched her escape with a slanted smile on his face that fell as soon as the momentary respite her presence gave him passed and his headache returned.

"Here."

Hyun-Ji had also returned holding a glass of water and two pills. He obediently took both under her supervision, knowing he had a reputation for not taking his headache medication when he needed it.

Handing back the empty glass, he smiled his gratitude. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. If you insist on going, I'll take you," she said.

He opened his mouth to protest but wisely decided against it. She was in caregiver mode and was already compromising with him by making sure he at least had pain relief if he was still going to work.

"Thank you, Princess. That won't make you late for your appointment, will it?"

She took a look at her phone. "Not if we leave within the next few minutes. I'll meet you in the car."

He nodded again and grabbed his olive green apron, tossing it over his shoulder. "Dad, we're leaving," he called.

He instantly regretted saying that out loud. Hyori's hurried breaths could be heard from his parents' room already. Her bean sprout of a ponytail bobbed up and down as she ran to her father as fast as her little legs could carry her.

"Bye-bye?" She asked, grabbing hold of his leg and looking up at him.

He let out a sigh and picked her up, kissing her plump marshmallow cheek. "For a little while, Blue. We'll be back soon."

The separation anxiety stage was in full effect. Hyori's tears began with a soft whine that quickly escalated into cries so mournful they could break even the coldest person's heart into pieces. One could imagine the effect it had on Jungkook, arguably the softest person in the house when it came to her. Frowning at the expected response, Jungkook rubbed her back, trying to console her.