• 51 •

—— ——

Jittery fingers fumbled to tie the strings of the olive green apron behind the small of his back. Jungkook turned to the side in the mirror to try to see what he was doing and eventually accomplished his task with a sigh. Facing forward, he pushed his fringe out of his eyes and took another look at his appearance through the center of the heart of sticky notes. The bottom edges of the notes were slightly curled from the heat and condensation from their showers and some required a piece of scotch tape to secure it back in place, but the heart was otherwise still intact.

It technically wasn't his first day at work, but in some ways, it felt like it was.

He adjusted the black shirt beneath his apron, smoothing out the nonexistent wrinkles, and pinned his name tag on a little neater. His name spelled out in straight, angular letters stared back at him, along with a sticker of a smiling rainbow above it denoting his status as an ally of equality.

His handwriting was different now, more resembling the scribbles of a middle schooler than the writings of a university student, he imagined. Writing still caused his hands to tremble, a trait he hoped continued therapy would remedy.

Princess: Have a great day at work!❤️
Princess: Let me know how great you did!

Me: Thank you. I will 😊

A lopsided grin split his face as he returned her text, and like magic, his bad nerves were soothed. It seemed that was just another of the special talents unique to her.

"Let's go, Kookie!"

"Yes, ma'am, he called. With another deep breath, he put on his glasses and turned off the lights to join his mother.

—— ——

The car came to a smooth stop outside of the brick building with an awning made of heavy fabric and the same color as the apron tied around him. A steady stream of customers flowed in and out, politely holding the door for those passing through as they chatted animatedly with their friends.

"Have a great day, honey," Haneul said.

"Thanks, mom," he said, unbuckling his seat belt. "I'll see you at four— Are you crying?"

"I'm sorry," she sniffed, smiling as she wiped away the moisture that escaped. "It's just that you wanted to go on your own the first day you started working. I get it, you didn't want your mom hovering..."

"Mom..." he chuckled.

Jungkook pulled Haneul into an embrace, holding her as tightly as the confines of the car allowed.

"I'm just glad I get to be here this time," she said, her words muffled by his affection. "I want you to do well."

"Thank you for being here," he smiled. "And don't worry. I'll be fine. I'm just going to work."

Haneul released him after a tight squeeze. "I know you will," she smiled.

"Thank you. See you soon."

He left the car and strode over to the glass doors of the entrance, hoping the confidence he showed in front of his mother wasn't misguided. He just wanted to do well too.