065. softie

requested by Vampirenight19
mild tw: catcalling

pairing: Jughead x Y/n L/n

3rd person pov:

Jughead was always protective over Y/n. Sometimes too protective. Even when they were 'just friends' he went out of his way to make sure nothing happened to her. But ever since they decided to put a label on things and begin officially dating, things had gotten much more... intense. His heart was in the right place, and Y/n knew that, but his constant over-protective behavior was overwhelming. Though she would never confront him about it, for she didn't want to upset him, not with everything else he had going on in his life.

This morning was nothing out of the ordinary. She followed her schedule, the same as every other day. She woke up, got ready, and waited for Jug to knock on her front door. She heard the sound of his knuckles hitting the wood exactly three times, and bolted to the door, eager to leave.

She opened the door and watched as his eyes traveled from her shoes to her hips, finally making their way to meet her eyes. It was mid-spring and it was supposed to be warm that day, so she made the smart decision to wear a casual dress, matched with a white pair of boots, nothing too formal.

"You look uhm... great" He said, trying not to be rude by staring at the slightly low-cut dress.

"Thanks" She replied, handing him a paper bag that held a toasted, raisin bagel. He never ate breakfast, and would constantly steal her food, so one day, a few months back, she decided to just bring him breakfast every morning. Therefore she could enjoy her food, and he could enjoy his.

From Y/n's house on Fair Street to Riverdale High, it was a short 5 minute walk, so they took their sweet time to get there, not wanting to be too early. The couple walks hand in hand, her idea of course, while Jug's other hand occupied as he enjoyed the bagel she'd given him.

His grip on her hand tightened as they neared the school. Football players lurking eyes wandered up and down her exposed legs, their minds filling with filthy thoughts....

At least that's what Jug had seen.

In reality the jocks tossed a football to one another, their eyes focused on the amateur game in front of them. Y/n never once crossed their mind, in fact most of them didn't even know her name. It's not like they'd never seen a girl's legs before.

But Jughead didn't see it like that. Reggie Mantle, one of the bulldogs, perfect jock stereotype then walked past, glancing towards the pair. "Hey Y/n... Jughead." Reggie had bullied Jughead freshman year. But since then he'd changed... became a different person almost. But Jughead forgot how much he'd changed. So when he walked past them, giving Y/n a friendly side-hug, Jug was immediately upset.

"So Reggie, I heard coach Clayton is eyeing you to be next captain of the bulldogs." Y/n said with a wink, playfully punching her friend shoulder.

The two continued their conversation, Jughead wrapping his arms around Y/n while they spoke. His head rested upon her shoulder, his eyes shooting him a dirty look, though he was too busy rambling about football to notice. Jughead Jones hated PDA. It was one of the things he felt strongest about; his personal business stays behind closed doors. But in that moment he wanted everyone around him to know that Y/n was his girlfriend, something he had never really felt before... was this jealousy?

Soon enough Reggie had to leave, and while Y/n was visibly sad to see him go, Jughead was practically beaming. "So where are we off to now Jug?" She asked, taking his hand once more.

"Anywhere but class."

They had 15 minutes before the first bell of the day rang, so naturally they went to the student lounge. The student lounge was a small room made up of two leather couches, 3 lounge chairs, and a vending machine. It was nothing special but it was their go-to before school hangout spot. They spent as much time in it as they could, since senior year was almost over, they wouldn't have the chance to much longer.

"Morning Y/n/n, you look awfully cute today" Veronica greeted, tapping her pen on the notebook that was sitting on her lap, looking empty.

"Morning Veronica... what's the notebook for?"

"Oh, Betty and I are on prom committee and she has me brainstorming ideas for themes." She sighed, tossing the pen down hopelessly.

"Ooh prom..." Y/n dragged out, glancing to Jug who refused to look at his girlfriend's puppy-dog eyes. He hated dances, but he always went with Y/n, to make sure she wasn't alone. His hand was placed casually on her leg, something he always did when they were sat next to each other. It was nothing unusual, so she thought nothing of it, until Chuck walked into the lounge.

"Damn Y/n... looking good" Chuck said with a wink while licking his lips, his blue and yellow letterman jacket slung casually over his shoulder in typical jock-style. He continued walking, a few of his football goons following closely behind him. Y/n pulled the top of her dress up uncomfortably, also pulling it down at the bottom. Before she could stop him, Jug hopped over the back of the couch, going to confront Chuck.

"What'd you say?" Jug asked rhetorically, shoving Chuck. Y/n's eyes went wide as she ran to his side, trying to stop him. He had already taken his beanie off, the knit hat sitting in his clenched fist. Jughead's anger had somehow boiled to the top, Chuck's comment making him lose his shit. 

Chuck smirked, letting out a scoff. He handed one of his friends his jacket, licking his lips again as he looked Y/n up and down in an extremely creepy way, making her wish she hadn't worn that outfit to school.

"I said she looked hot..." Chuck said, as if it were the most casual thing ever. "That's not a problem... right Jughead?" He took one step forward, so his chest was almost up against Jughead's.

Y/n began to panic as the image of Jug punching Chuck in the face flashed through her mind. He was strong, but she knew Chuck was stronger, and if they fought Jug would for sure get his ass beat. She grabbed his hand, which was still balled into a tight fist.

"Hey, hey... Let's go okay? You don't have to do this" She whispered, the tone of her voice making it sound like more of a plea. He didn't even respond, but didn't step down either. She felt like an idiot trying to step between them, but Jughead was one suspension away from expulsion, and Y/n didn't exactly feel like walking the stage at graduation without her boyfriend by her side.

"Baby please" She whispered to him, almost cringing at the sound of the word leaving her lips. She hated being sappy in public, or at all really, but she knew it was a simple and effective way to get him to stop being a hard-ass. That's the nickname she used every time she wanted to convince him to do something, or make him blush. She knew not to use it in front of other people, for he tried to keep up his badass, brooding persona, but she knew he was a softie.

He glanced down at his girlfriend, looking right into her pleading eyes, knowing he couldn't ignore her. He sighed, unclenching his fist and letting her drag him out of the lounge, flipping off Chuck before walking out the door.

"What was that?" She asked as they reached her locker. The halls were surprisingly pretty empty, everyone starting to shuffle to class.

"Did you not hear what he said-"

"But you had to try hit him?" She sighed, grabbing his hands and looking up at him. He wasn't sorry for trying to protect her, but he did feel bad, knowing how much she hated violence, especially when it involved him.

"Sorry..." He whispered as she wrapped her arms around him.

"I'm just lucky you're a softie."

"Only for you Y/n, only for you"

. . .

I'm gonna sob this is so cringe