029. everything's right again

A/n: This was a request from miss_m60

Pairing: Jughead x Mia

Mia's pov:

I look down in pure adoration at the baby I was cradling. My little Autumn. She's got perfect black curls, just like her father, but she's got my eyes, the purest blue. I set her down in her crib and walked away quietly, hoping she would sleep through the night or at least a few hours. Wandering down the hall of me and Jughead's apartment, I couldn't help but smile. The pictures of us on the walls, the furniture we picked out, it was ours which is what mattered. This is all we ever wanted. I pick up the basket of unfolded clothes and begin folding. I hear the door open and close, signaling Jug was home.

"Hey, how was your night?" I asked, not even bothering turning around.

"Well it was alright. Betty showed me and interesting photo. Care to explain" He shoves his phone in my face. The photo was of me and Lucas, from a few years ago. Lucas was my older brother who sadly passed away in a car accident before I'd even met Jughead. In the picture we were laughing and hugging, it was one of the best memories I have of him. That was after he'd won a football game at his school. Him and I were always close, which was odd considering siblings usually fight a lot.

It's had been so long since I've thought about him. I was always so busy with the baby, or work, he completely slipped my mind most days. He was my best friend, my protector, and I trusted him with my life. When he died, I felt alone, Jughead was the one that filled that void for me.

"So who is he? Is he your secret boyfriend or something? Are you really cheating on me?" He yelled, and I could smell the alcohol on his breath, which I didn't dare mention. I couldn't breathe, so many emotions were bubbling to the surface, all at once. Of course Betty would show him that picture, she's always been jealous of my relationship with Jughead, so much so that she'd tried to ruin our relationship several times, even after I'd had a child with him, she never gave up on her hope that one day she'd have him for herself.

"Answer me!" His voice kept getting louder and I was getting worried he would wake Autumn. Even in this moment, all I could think about was the baby a few doors down.

"It's my brother." I said quietly, my voice wavering, knowing he wouldn't believe me. I never actually told him about Lucas, I didn't want his pity. Everyone else in town treated me different now that I had a dead brother. It was small town gossip, but it spread like wildfire. That's when my mother and I moved to Riverdale, and I met Jughead.

"You don't have a brother, don't lie to me."

"He's dead."

"Stop with the lies!" He yelled, as I went back to folding the laundry in attempt to show him that I was done with this pointless argument. He snatched the basket, tossing it across the room, hitting the wooden coffee table with a bang.

"I'm not lying! If you ever sat down and talked to me, you would know. You're always so invested in your novel, or the serpents! You don't even know me." I yelled, matching his tone. I watched as what I said sunk in. He aggressively grabbed me by the collar of my shirt, pulling me close to him.

"I don't know what kind of game you're playing, but I wouldn't cross me if I were you." He warned. This was a side of Jughead I had never seen before. He wasn't the intelligent, caring boy I fell in love with. He was angrier, more violent. Something in him finally snapped.

"Why? What are you going to do?" With that last comment he raised his hand and slapped me hard across the face. I fell to the ground, my eyes watering. I looked up at Jughead who was already walking out of the trailer. From the other room, I hear Autumn begin to cry, woken by all of the yelling. With tears streaming down my cheeks, I walk down the hall into the baby's bedroom.

"I'm sorry we woke you baby." I said sniffling. Her screeches got quieter as her bright blue eyes stared up at me. I began to sing softly, my voice soothing the baby. I packed my things and headed out the door, Autumn still sleeping in my arms.

~Days later~

Cheryl, Toni, Kevin and I sat in Cheryl's bedroom. She was kind enough to let me stay at her place for a little while. I bounced Autumn up and down on my leg, earning several giggles from her. The three were chatting about some random topic, while I spaced out, imagining what Jughead is doing at the moment. Was he thinking about me? Was he still mad? Was this the end of us? I didn't care, he hurt me and I don't want him doing that to me or Autumn ever again, even if that means we're done.

"Hey Mia, your lover boy is here" Toni said, drawing me out of my thoughts. I went to the window, looking down to see Jug standing on the ground below, a few rocks in his hand and a pained look on his face.

"What do you want?" I yelled opening the window slightly.

"Please come down here and we can talk about this!" I sigh and hand Autumn to Kevin, making my way down the stairs of the mansion and out the door. I stand in front of him, keeping a distance.

"Why are you here? Did you come to hit me again?"

"Mia, please. I am so so sorry. I never meant to hit you, or even yell. I was angry, but that's no excuse. It'll never happen again." I cross my arms and stare at him, wanting a better excuse to forgive him.

"How's Autumn?" He asked, worried about his daughter, something that always made my heart melt, how much he cared.

"She's fine. She misses you."

"And how are you?"

"I'm doing fabulous. I have to sleep at my friends house, with my baby, because I have nowhere else to go." I snap, tears filling my eyes again. He takes a step forward, pulling me into a hug and this time, I don't fight it. I let my tears flow out onto the cotton of his shirt, a mixture of anger, sadness and fear all spilling out within my tears. I pull away from the hug, looking at him. As much as I hate to admit it, I missed him. I missed his hugs, and his stupid beanie. I missed his adorable green eyes and the way he makes me feel. I pull him close for a kiss, catching us both by surprise.

"I love you" He whispers, pulling away and leaning his forehead against mine. A chorus of, 'Yay's and 'aww's could be heard from the window upstairs.

And just like that, everything was right again.