017. sleepless nights

Y/n's pov:

I frustratedly sit up in my bed. My eyes red and puffy from the lack of sleep I've been getting. Even with Jug's comforting arm around me as I lie there, my mind won't shut off long enough to allow me to get a peaceful night's rest.

My life has become one never ending cycle of stress. I have the constant drama with the serpents, and I always need to be there to stop the inevitable fights that happen regularly, for I seem to be the only sane one in the group. I have to deal with school, which everyone in this town seems to forget about. And on top of all that, I have to be a good girlfriend to the sweetest boy in the whole world.

Jug rolls over, half asleep, feeling around for me, wanting to pull me into his chest like he always does when we cuddle. His eyes peel open as he realizes I'm not laying next to him as usual, instead he find me sitting upright, my head balanced on my knees.

"Y/n?" Jughead asks, yawning while rubbing his eyes, trying to adjust to the darkness of my room. "Why are you up? It's-" He pauses to look at the clock on my nightstand, that in bright red numbers reads 2:57. He shifts his weight to his hands, pushing himself up so he's sitting next to me. His arm snakes around my shoulders, as he rubs my back, seeing how exhausted I am.

"I just can't sleep, Jug. I want to but I can't. I haven't been able to in days. I've been running on caffeine and misery." I groan, my head falling on his shoulder. He thinks carefully about what to do, and I could see the light-bulb go off in his brain as he takes my hand.

"Come on" I slid my shoes on, following after him, neither of us minding the fact that we looked insane walking around at 3 am in our pajamas.

I follow him out my front door, quietly shutting it so we wouldn't get caught. Sneaking out was nothing new, in fact it was something that was normal for the two of us. It was no surprise that we snuck out during the nights, having midnight swims at sweetwater river, or going to the playground behind Riverdale Elementary. We had our fun, just the two of us.

I mindlessly followed his lead, hand in hand in the dark as we walked a few blocks towards the only place in town that would be open right now: Pop's. Jughead always tried to be spontaneous and mysterious, surprising me with dates and fun things to do... but it was always the same, which I didn't mind.

We entered the diner, the bell on the door signaling our arrival. Pop Tate was sweeping the floors, a clear indicator that his shift had just begun.

"Y/n, Jughead... it's late, even for you two. Or should I say early?" Pop said, chuckling at his own joke. Pop Tate was the only person who could make corny humor, actually funny.

"Morning Pop, can we get a basket of fries and a chocolate milkshake please?" Jug asked, to which the old man nodded, waddling off the the kitchen to make our food.

Jug lead me to out normal booth, him taking the window seat, knowing how much I hated being trapped in. He slides in the booth first, gesturing for me to as well, which I do, taking my spot next to him as his arm slides around my shoulder, securing me in place.

"I'm sorry I woke you up" I said softly, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"It's fine, I wasn't sleeping well without you anyway."

"You're such a liar, I watched you, you were sound asleep." I laughed, punching his arm.

Pop Tate walked over with our order in hand, as Jughead reached for his wallet, though I was faster, grabbing a 5 dollar bill out from my coat pocket and handing it to Pop who nodded graciously, walking back to the register.

"I would've paid for that-"

"I know. I can take care of you sometimes too ya know." I said, making him scoff. He hated when I paid for things, for he liked to spoil me to the best of his ability.

"I'm not the one staying up 72 hours at a time" He joked, nudging my shoulder as I popped a curly fry into my mouth.

He slid his hand into mine as I leaned my head back against him, his thumb rubbing circles into the back of my hand. My eyes began to feel heavy as I craved sleep, even if it was only a few minutes, I needed it.

I felt Jughead kiss my forehead as I fell asleep in his arms, my sleepless nights now a thing of the past.

Ew