023. home

Y/n's pov:

It was a typical saturday night as I was curled up under the blankets on my bed, watching netflix. Boredom consumed my body as my eyes stared blankly at the movie playing. I reach for my phone, the time reading 8:00 on the dot. I groaned, wanting so desperately to leave my house. I scrolled through my contacts, dialing my one and only hope.

"Hey Y/n! What's up?" Betty greets me with a little too much enthusiasm.

"Nothing much, just bored. Wanna hang out tonight? If you're not busy."

"Actually, Kevin and I are at the drive-in if you wanna join. You haven't missed much of the movie. It's kinda boring anyway."

"I'll be there in a few minutes." I said, hanging up and throwing on a pair of jeans, just happy to be leaving my house. Even if the movie was boring, I'd still get to hang out with my friends.

~At the drive in~

I leaned my bike up against the fence, making my way through the crowd of people, to where Betty and Kevin were cuddled up in the back of the truck Kevin borrowed from his dad.

Since it was October, I knew the movie would have some correlation to Halloween. October was Jug's favorite month, and it certainly wasn't because of his birthday. It was because for 31 nights in a row, he had an excuse to play all horror movies at the drive-in.

"Oh, hey Y/n, you got here fast" Kevin says as I hop in the bed of the truck.

"So, what's the movie tonight?"

"The third halloween"

"Ew. I hate this movie, and so does Jug. Where is he anyways?" I ask, more to myself than to either of them. I hop over the side of the truck bed, my sneakers hitting the ground as Betty yells out for me,

"Uh, Y/n!"

"What? I'm just going to see Jug. Relax." I assured her, not sure what her problem was. I ignored her pleas for me to 'come back' and 'stop', picking up my pace as she trailed behind me.

I reached the projection booth, swinging the wood door open, confused by the sight in front of me. Jug was lying on a cot by the projector, a comic book in hand. All around the shack were scattered clothes and fast food wrappers.

"Y/n! Hey." He said, bolting up from his previous position. I stood there in utter disbelief, as I refused to believe what was right in front of me.

"Jug? Why is your stuff here?" He glanced behind me at Betty, refusing to look me in the eyes. I turned to Betty who gave me a sheepish smile. When I turned back to the dark haired boy, he looked at his feet, but didn't answer the question.

"Jughead Jones! Are you living here?"

"I asked Betty not to tell you" He mumbled, scratching the back of his neck.

"You knew? Betty! How could you not tell me?" I yelled, not caring if anyone heard me.

"I came to see Jughead a few weeks ago and he asked me not to tell you. I didn't want to betray his trust. I'm sorry." She said, walking out of the shack.

I looked around, it was a small space cluttered with storage boxes and dust. Even the walls were broken open. I walked over to him, plopping down on the cot next to him, wrapping my arms around his sides.

"How long?"

"I'd say about 3 months. I left after my dad started getting bad again. He stopped coming home, so I did too. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have kept this from you. I should have told you a lot sooner"

"Why didn't you?"

"I didn't want you to worry about me." I scoffed, getting up from my spot next to him, stuffing his clothes into his backpack, while he sat there, helpless.

"Forsythe Pendleton Jones the third, as your best friend it is my duty to make you come live with me." He reached for his bag, trying to take it from me in protest.

"Y/n, what about your dad? I don't think he wants another kid under his roof."

"He'll be fine with it" I grabbed both of his backpacks, throwing them onto my arms and taking his hand, dragging him out the door.

"No, I'll be fine, I don't want to impose"

I ignored his argument, leading him away from the drive-in and towards my house, completely forgetting about my bike. Within a few minutes, we were walking in the bright red door of my house.

"Dad! I need to talk to you!" I yelled, making him get up from his seat on the couch, where he was watching saturday night football.

"Hey Jughead, what's wrong Y/n?"

"Jughead's homeless, can we keep him? Please?"

"You're making me sound like a stray puppy." Jug piped in as he stood behind me, with his back against the door, not wanting to be here.

"You basically are... Anyway, please dad can we keep him?" I stuck my lip out and gave my best puppy dog eyes, trying to guilt trip him with my adorable-ness. Though it didn't work, for he ignored me, turning to Jug:

"Why aren't you living at home with your dad? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to let you live here, but is everything alright?" Jug shifted from one foot to the other, staring at the ground.

"Let's just say, he isn't the greatest dad." He mumbled, not looking up.

"Well, you're always welcome here. You'll be sleeping in Archie's room." Dad said, giving us a look whilst smirking, making my cheeks go red.

~~~

I sat on top of the air mattress that lie next to Archie's bed. It was 11 pm and we finally got Jug set up and feeling right at home. Dad had already wished us goodnight, leaving just me and the two boys alone.

"Night boys" I said, walking into my room, next door.

The little lamp on my bedside table gave me just enough light for reading, which I was grateful for as I pulled out my book to begin my nightly reading. As soon as I turned the page, there was a knock on my door.

"Come in," The door opened slightly and Jug's beanie-less head poked in. I shut my book, sequestering for him to come in and sit on my bed next to me.

"I didn't get to properly thank you."

"No need to thank me. I just want you to be safe and happy"

He sighed, hesitating what he was about to do. He grabbed my cheek, and before I knew what was happening, his soft lips were pressed against mine. I froze at first, not sure what to do, or how to react. All I knew was I liked it. Time was non-existent as his lips were locked in mine, and before I knew it, we were both out of breath. He pulled away, leaning his forehead against mine, his breath tickling my nose.

"I've wanted to do that for a long time"

"Me too. You have no idea." I could see it on his face as what he'd just done really sunk in.

"What now?" He asked as a look of panic painted itself on his face

"We'll figure that out tomorrow. Tonight, will you stay with me?" I asked, lifting up my blankets as he crawled under.

He slid his arm around me, as I nuzzled my head onto his chest, the familiar smell of his t-shirt filling my nose. My head rose and fell with his chest, my eyes getting heavier by the second.

"I know this is gonna sound weird, but I think I'm gonna like it here. I think this place could be my home."

"It will be. I'll make sure nothing like that ever happens to you again Jug. You deserve the world and I'm gonna make sure you get it."

That was literally so bad