Settling in

Standing besides my dad in front of the house's doorsteps, I was a head taller than him and more muscular making me look rather intimidating. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not that tall , just slightly 1.8 meters in height . If you'd look closely enough, I had almost zero resemblance to my dad. If not for the blue eyes I inherited from him, you would have mistaken him for a step dad or a foster dad.
My dad knocked the door twice after which we heard a shuffling noise from the inside"coming",a manly voice sounded. The guy seemed to take his time to open the door, it really began to get on my nerves making me wonder what he was doing in there.
The door creaked open after a while revealing...... wow!.. dad had a twin brother? I looked back and forth between them my eyes widening each passing second. I couldn't help but get amused, they even were of the same height.
"look who's here...." he chuckled and hugged my dad affectionately "who's the boy... a work mate?" he asked scanning me . I looked at him incredously
" No way.... " the guy's eyes widened "you actually brought your son..... Sam?.. isn't he? "
" Yeah.... I told you about him over the phone" dad smiled
" Oh... shoot, I almost forgot.. too many cases nowadays" the guy chuckled and then hugged me
" Come in , come in.. "he ushered us in. The house's living room was rather spacious with expensive looking coaches. I sat beside my dad and expressionesly stared around at what was supposed to be my home for the next year.
My dad's twinnie brought over two bottles of beer and mango juice...... a fucking mango juice which was obviously for me . Back at the city , I used to drink a lot but not to my dad's knowing. If only he knew I was an even bigger drunk than he was.
"I have to say I never expected sam to grow this big... isn't he just sixteen? "he said popping my dad's bottle.
" He's a fast grower.... " dad chuckled while patting my  back " Sam, this is uncle Stark my older brother despite the resemblance" he turned to me and smiled. They really did look like twins though, I sighed.
"You remember when you would steal from Grandma and then she wouldn't tell who did it..." Uncle Stark asked after which dad broke into a rare fit of laughter
" then we both ended up getting spared since she couldn't punish her favorite grandchildren....."dad said amidst laughter
" I really miss her" Uncle Stark said
"Yeah, she was so good" dad sighed" how's meryln anyway?" he added
" Busy as always...."uncle Stark smiled "working night shifts at the hospital"
Uncle Stark stared at dad for a while before taking a big gulp from the beer bottle " I'm sorry brother," he said
"I should have been there two years ago" he added.
Though I wasn't following up on most of their conversation,I knew he was apologizing on not being there during mom's burial.
"Yeah, I'm already over it" dad smiled. The smile was extremely forced and faked, uncle Stark didn't buy it either.
"Why don't you show Sam to his room, he could use some rest after the long journey" he suggested almost immediately.
I was  grateful since I would rather watch a boring documentary than hear the old folks catch up
Uncle Stark stood up and dragged my suitcase " this way..." he motioned. I nodded to my dad a goodnight before following him .
Uncle Stark opened the door to the furthest room on the short corridor.
Whilst placing the suitcase beside the bed he said "the toilet and bathroom are inside.....if you feel hungry,I trust you'll find the kitchen by yourself"
" Thank you..." I said scanning the small but not too small room.
He stood by the door as if waiting for a retort or comment
" Have a good night then Sam" he said then closed the door .
Beside my bed was a small desk with a table lamp. Further away from my bed just beside the door that led to the bathroom ,was a black wardrobe. I lay on my back staring at the ceiling my thoughts running back and forth. My room was silent except for the occasional bursts of laughter from the sitting room. " Urrgh!" I groaned, it was really boring in here. I retrieved a pack of cigarettes from my pocket and contemplated whether to smoke or not. I inwardly cursed as I dismissed the thought, I had already promised dad I would change. Better to start with no smoking in my first night here.
Ever thought of nothing? just laying there your mind  complete empty and blank since every thought you knew was a bad one. Well right now I was thinking nothing , coupled with fatigue, I slowly slipped into the world of complete laziness..........