mystic creature

Everyone went silent, dead silent. I stared outside but I saw nothing. Rodriguez left with the burly men who wore casual clothing, the principal didn't bother to stop them.
" What's happe...."
" shhhh" Cruiz shushed me almost instantly. A while later , one of the men who left with Rodriguez came back, shirtless. He went over and whispered something to the principal then quickly ran outside. The principal's expression suddenly changed, at that time  I knew someone was gravely wrong.

" What happened?" I shouted not minding the looks I got. I voiced everyone's thoughts so they all looked at the principal expectantly.
" Five of grade seven students are missing.... one , one is dead"
Murmurs rose as my heart started beating faster, grade seven? That was Kate's class.
"Kate?" I whispered then stood up.
" Samael sit down" one of the teachers shouted but I cared no less as I started walking row after row searching for her. My breathing started getting rough when I approached the last row.
" Please sit down" the principal asked
" my sister's missing" I almost growled at him.
" we have people looking for them, they are perhaps hiding somewhere in the school"
Another scream sounded which made me sprint to the door my breathing rugged.

" We can't let you outside" the players stood right infront of me which weirdly made me think of punching them
" you'll also become a victim if you go outside' I heard the principal
" Don't make me force you" I whispered anger lacing my breathing. I edged closer to them , I noticed my body heat was also rising rapidly which made me want to take my shirt off.
" we cant..... '" I plowed straight through him that he toppled over. That strength? but that was not the right time to think about it. I was rolling outside the door before I realized it. The school was empty, not even a sign of a living thing... or animal. I quickly ran towards grade seven block and started checking every class. The result was depressing, not even a sign of her.

My hopes got up when I recalled her being one of the school's reporter. The reporting room was just beside the faculty building which was the admission block. That meant that I had to get to the gate first. The school's gate was wide open, a black minivan was parked just infront of it. I heard loud growls and snarls in the forest just outside the school. Trees seemed to get torn apart , whatever the hell those animals were, they had to be really huge.
I rushed to the reporting room, the door was wide open... more of crushed apart. I saw a pool of blood at the floor, television sets and the furnitures were thrown all over making it all messy. Where are you Kate? I asked myself as I clutched her bag close to me. The reporting room was positioned such that it's door was facing the school's gate. The forest outside was the first place I would pick to run to if I was attacked.

I took a deep breath then picked a steel rod from the pile of mess before I headed outside. If I had to die, I'll do it trying to save her. I wouldn't just sit and wait for nothing. No one was inside the black van, I curiously went to the watchman's room. I hesitated by the door waiting for something to ram into me but all I got was silence. His hat lay by the door. I felt my head get light when I saw the first sight. The watchman's headless body lay twisted just behind the door. His chest was curved inwards, so much deep that I thought it was a hole. His head was hanging from the fan just on the ceiling. I felt angry , what would behave so ruthlessly and attack an old man who just was so humble and innocent.

I left the room now cautious than ever, this was no wild animal, this was a murder machine. I approached the forest calculating every step making sure I was aware of my surroundings. Did a whirlwind just happen to teleport itself here? I asked myself as I jumped over a tree stump. Huge trees had been snapped apart like sticks, leaves and branches strewn all-over. Patches of blood were smeared everywhere, mixed with long furs. The growls had retreated deeper into the forest.

I heard a branch snap a distance away from me. My heart picked up speed , I held the rod tighter and narrowed my gaze to the direction of the sound. Nothing moved again for a whole minute which made me feel antsy. I slowly walked towards the massive undergrowth mulched at the foot of a large oak tree. I stood some meters from it and started sorrounding it. I expected some cannibal to come rushing out but to my suprise
"Please don't kill me" I heard a whisper, a familiar sound.
" Kate? "I asked. I saw Kate timidly raise her head from the growth. Her face was bloodied but she looked alive which came as a relief to me.
"thank God" I dropped the steel rod and hugged her.
"let's get back to school" I said
"I can't leave" she started sobbing
"it's not safe Kate"
"I can't leave Kirely.. " she said staring away from me.
" where's she? "I asked. I followed her gaze towards a clothe bundle.
"What in goodness sake" I widened my eyes as I looked at Kirely. My fists clenched, I felt the urge to kill that thing now more than ever. Her panic stricken face suggested obvious suprise, her chest was curved inwards, her heart was ripped out.
"I tried to stop her from running.. she wouldn't listen" Kate sobbed .
" she panicked and ran, I couldn't stop her.... it's my fault, it's my fault. "
I hugged her " you didn't kill her, what matters is that you tried"

Loud thumps running towards us made me break hold.
"get behind me.." I placed Kate behind me and prepared for whatever giant that was thrashing it's way towards us. The sound was so close we couldn't make a run for it. The thing also seemed fast, we couldn't outrun it. I heard a large growl then, wolf? weren't they supposed to be only slightly larger than dogs. The white wolf before us was as large as a horse, it had large bloodied canines that sent chills down my spine. It looked so muscular and terrifying, it's eyes scanned us almost in an intelligent way. Was this the culprit behind the deaths? something about it seemed familiar. It made a step forward, it's snout sniffing the air, it's mouth was pulled back exposing it's teeth. If this thing was going to rip our hearts out then I could buy some time  for Kate to escape. A low growl released itself as the large wolf made another step. It scratched it's large paws on the earth drawing huge chunks of dirt. A howl from deep inside the forest made it stop. It perked up it's ears then narrowed it's gaze at me once more, it's eyes flickering. It threateningly snarled so close to us making me swing my steel rod wildly at it. Of course, I didn't hit it, it literally blurred away. I was left taking deep breaths wondering how something so large was so fast. I didn't even see how it crashed a tree with it's paws, I only saw the tree fall.

I didn't waste this chance, I carried Kate on my back and ran back to school.