The phantoms

I woke up to the deafening sound of a beeping machine. It was so loud that I fell off the bed I was on while covering my ears. At the same time, over a hundred different scents hit me so strongly I felt like sneezing. Medicine, urine, latrine, diesel, petroleum , perfumes, sweat .... all mixed together... I inhaled it all. My ears picked several sounds distance away, I could even hear the heartbeats of everyone in my hospital room.

Claire was the first one to be alerted by my fall.
"Are you alright?.." she ran towards me "get the doctor, John" she said to my dad who was on the verge of breaking up.
"I'm alright," I stood up by the help of Claire. I still felt quite dizzy with all that influx of scents and noise.
"How long was I out?" I asked sitting back on my bed
"It's Thursday" Claire said smiling "you were in a coma"
Thursday? I didn't freak out as much I would like to but that did prove one thing, that vision was real. It was unexplainable how I had such heightened senses.  But I still had to prove if I could shift to that wolf.

"I'm glad you are up son" my dad came beside me , Dr. George and Meryln following closely.
"Aren't you supposed to be in a seminar?" I asked but also happy that I could see his old face again.
"I came as soon as I could... I missed you" he patted my hair.
"Let me check him first before you continue catching up.."  Dr George said. He checked my pulse and temperature, my now very sharp eyesight could see the changes in his expression. Though he did very well in hiding it, I saw suprise and waryness flash in his eyes.
"You are miraculously fine..." he chuckled "... and healthy"
"He's my son" my dad proudly said.
"Your aunt will sign you out... you clearly don't belong here" he smiled then left with one final glance at me.
"You got us worried" meryln said
"Well.... I'm fine now" I smiled
"Can I go home?"  I was eager to see if alpha Maddox was true about me.

At my room, with Claire.
" I have to tell you something Sam"
" Go on... Why that gloomy face? " I fell back on my bed then gazed at her.
" I kinda... I .... I talked to Ashley"
" You what? "I almost shouted then stood up.
" Why did you do that?" I paced nervously, I didn't want Claire involved with Ashley, after my encounter with her creepy fiance.
"I needed answers....the way you were staring wasn't just normal. She wasn't just some girl in your school"
"Do you know what you've gotten yourself into? .... people in this town are different. What did you tell her?" I was really hoping she didn't provoke her at all.
" She's hiding something Sam" Claire sighed which really made me feel more uncomfortable if she stayed any longer in town.
"And she loves you"
" Claire?" I sat beside her then put my arm around her.
"I'm going to..."
" Don't do anything stupid" I interrupted her " just don't "
" I can take good care of myself mister" she said
"That I know....I'll handle it. Do nothing you get me?" I held her close to me.
Her phone rang .
"I've got to go...my dad" she kissed me then left.  I gazed by the window as she rode off. I was getting a weird feeling, the one I got from Shurk. Claire will try something stupid, I was sure. I only hoped for the best for her.

"Sam ,is everything alright?... I heard you shout" dad said peeking from the door
"Yeah" I sighed
"Meryln says dinner's ready"
" I'll be right up in a minute" I said. I took more than a minute just staring at the driveway before I went to the dining room.
"Hey Sam," Kate greeted me gloomily " I'm glad you're back"
I could clearly see that she was still depressed over her best friend. Her eyes were even red, she seemed to have been crying recently.
"She was buried today" Kate added playing with her fork.
I took a moment to study her before I turned to my meal. Whatever person who did that, I'll find him. I made up my mind.

Today somehow, I felt like my stomach was an abyss. I felt like I wasn't even eating. I finished even all the packed food in the fridge under the suprised eyes of my family. I won't even get started on how fast I seemed to devour them .
"Someone's got an appetite" Kate smiled for the first time which I guessed, since Monday
"I thought your stomach would bulge or something" she joked . Dad and her parents chuckled. I wasn't even feeling full yet, the food was just so-so.
Kate's mood was up which cheered up the family. We talked and chatted for long as a family late into the night. Our experiences , how dad and uncle Stark were happy that the phantoms were dining together. Uncle Stark even told us of our family history . We were once a great family in Tenac town beside the Lanay family, a great one. We weren't that rich but we had many contacts with the outside world. Every family and person in town gave the phantoms respect. After the deaths of dad's parents, surprisingly everything they worked for died with them. Dad went to the city to be a business man, and uncle Stark decided on staying in town to serve it. The phantom family has been on the downfall since.

About 1 am, we all retired to bed. All enlightened, our phantom spirit rejuvenated.