Chapter 21

*even the dead tell stories*

*Leah's Pov*

Me and Steve headed into a car, and he started driving to New Jersey. It was silent at first, not awkward but still boring. I had my feat on the dash bored and started a conversation.

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car, ay?" I asked joking.
"Nazi Germany," he stated. I nodded, interested.
"And we're borrowing it, so take your feet off the dash," Steve ordered me, waving on of his hands at me to take them down.

"Alright, I have a question for you, oh, which you don't have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer, your kinda answering it though. Yano?" I asked him.

"What?"
"Was that your first kiss since 1945?" I asked smirking at him.
"That bad, huh?"

"I didn't say that," I answered reassuringly.
"Well it kind of sounds like that's what you're saying,"
"No, I didn't. I just wondered how much practise you have had."
"You don't need practice," he defended himself.

"Everybody needs practice."
"It was not my first kiss since the. I'm 95, I'm not dead," he said smirking. I laughed at what he said.
"Nobody special, though?" I joked. He chuckled at my comment.
"Believe it or not, its kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience."

"Well, that's alright, you just make something up," I said.
"What, like you?" He said, glancing at me for a second as he asked me. I was slightly offended.
"I don't know. The truth matter of circumstances, its not all things to all people all the time. And neither am I," I explained to him, still looking at him.
"Thats a tough way to live," he was sort of wondering.

"Its a good way not to die, though."
"You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you don't know who that someone really is," he said, making me feel slightly guilty because I have a lot of secrets that only Nat and Clint know about. Fury did know.....but....its not like he can tell anyone. He is sort of dead.....

"Yeah. Who do you want me to be?" I questioned him.
"Hoe about my best friend still?" I laugh softly, looking out the window.
"Well, there's a chance you might be in the wrong business Rogers. But. Sure," I comforted him. I seen a happy smile spread on his face as he carried on driving.

* * *

*Time skip*

*Third person Pov*

The two pull up outside an abandoned military base, were the signal led them.
"This is it," Steve said, not taking his eyes off the base.
"The file came from these coordinates," Leah agreed.
"So did I. This is where I was trained," Steve said, a glimmer of sadness in his blue eyes. Leah looked at him sympathetically, not knowing what to say at first.

"Changed much?" She asked him.
"A little," he answered.

Steve started having brief visions of his former, smaller self running past him as he's getting trained with other soldiers.

"Pick up the pace, ladies! Let's go! Double time! Come on Rogers, move it! Come on! Fall in! Rogers I said fall in!"

"This is  dead end. Zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off." Leah state looking around. Steve notices a building ahead of them and they walk over to the building.

"Army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards of the barracks. This building is the wrong place," Steve declared. He opens the lock with his shield and they enter inside, when they turn on the lights, they notice its a S.H.I.E.L.D office.