Chapter 29

*a hospital alone, ends up showing what a war is*

*Leah's Pov*

We found Steve lying down next to the river, severely injured and unconscious.
"Steve! Steve!" I called his name, running towards him. I kneeled down, shaking him gently to see if he would wake up, but no luck came our way.

"Hill, I need an ambulance and medical services right now!" I ordered Maria, she is good at making these types of calls. I put Steve's head to the side, making sure there was no water in his mouth, so it would pour out.

Sam kneeled down next to me, placing a hand on my shoulder, signalling me to look at him.

"He will be okay you know," he comforted.
"I hope so. You have been a great asset to this team by the way. I don't know how I can thank you." Sam smiled, being proud of himself.

"How about, thankyou?" He joked.
"Thankyou, I really do appreciate it. You should think about joining the Avengers?" I asked him, he would be a great help.
"I'd have to think about it," Sam answered.

Soon enough, paramedics came running over to us, taking responsibility over Steve.

* * *

*Steve's Pov*

My eyes slowly opened, revealing an unfamiliar room. I don't remember how I arrived here. I looked at the TV to see Marvin Gaye's 'Trouble Man' playing.
I looked over to my right to see Sam sitting in a chair.

"On your left," I say, getting Sam's attention and he looks over to me and I smile.

"How are you?" He asked.
"I've been better," I joked. "Where is Leah?"

"She is being sworn in at a committee hearing about all of this," Sam answered me, I think he could tell that a wash of worry spread across my face but before I could say anything he said, "Dont worry, she is fine. It's leah after all."

"I guess your right, it is Leah," we both laughed.

* * *

*Leah's Pov*

I was at a hearing, people everywhere, taking pictures, recording, and anything you could think of. I even seen someone pick their nose and sell it to someone for 25 cents.

Anywaaaay.

"Do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" The Bailiff said to me.
"I do."

"Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?" The Committee General asked me. Havent they had enough of Steve already?

"I don't know what there is left for him to say. I think the wreck in the middle of the potomac made his point fairly eloquently."

"Well, he could explain how this country's expected to maintain its national security now that he and you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus," he commented coldly.

"H.Y.D.R.A was selling you lies, not intelligence," I fired back.
"Many which you seem to have had a personal hand in telling."

"Agent, you should know that there are some on this committee who feel, given your service record, both for this county and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary, not mouthing off on Capitol Hill," Scudder said to me.

"You're not gonna put me in a prison. You're not gonna put any of us in prison. You know why?" I asked them smiling.

"Do enlight us."

"Because you need us. Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we helped make it that way. But we are also the best qualified to defend it. So if you want to arrest me, arrest me. You'll know where to find me." I get up and walk away. Jeez, listening to Steve talk really helps with these speeches.

Epic entrance achieved!

* * *

*Third Person Pov*

Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson and Director Fury were at a grave yard, watching over Fury's grave stone.

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before?" Fury asked Steve.
"You get used to it," Steve answered, looking down at the grave.
"We've been data-mining H.Y.D.R.A's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm heading to Europe tonight, wanted to ask if you'd come."

"Theres something I gotta do first."
"Hoe about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities," Fury offered Sam.
"I'm more of a soldier than a spy," Sam answered gratefully.

"Alright then." Fury shakes Steve and Sam's hand."if anybody asks for me, tell them I'll be right here," he continued looking down at his grave and then walks away, just as Leah arrives.

"Not going with him?" Steve asked Leah, hugging her.
"No."
"Not staying here?" He asked again.
"I blew all my covers, I gotta figure out a new one."
"That might take a while."

"I'm counting on it. That thing you asked for, I called in a few favors." Leah hands him a file. "You will do me a favour? Call your neighbour."

"Our neighbour.....wait, she isn't our neighbour."
"And your are not a S.H.I.E.L.D agent."
"Sharon. She is nice....don't get to close, I'm not a big fan of her," Leah laughs. She kisses Steve on the cheek and turns to walk away.

"Be careful Steve. You might not want to pull on that thread."
"Not coming with?"
"I have some business to sort out."
"Remember, anything happens. I swear I'll beat up Tony until he says sorry," Steve laughs.
"Thankyou, we both can."
"It was an honor working with you Sam. Big fan of The Falcon."
"Nice working with you too. 'The Falcon', it's catchy, I like it," Sam smiles.

Leah walks away, meeting Natasha at the gates.

"So, where to first?"
"The billionair's house....compound."
"Well, we best be going then!"

Her and Natasha drive off heading to meet Iron Man.

Word Count: 951
Kiwi ~🥝