Chapter 22

*we all go a little mad sometimes*

*third person Pov*

Steve had been carrying Leah for a while now, when she had finally woken up.
"Steve?" She just about whispered.
"Yeah?" Steve asked, looking down at her, still carrying her.
"I shall walk now," she offered. He smiled down at her.
"You sure, you hit your head pretty badly, sorry."
"Yeah, thankyou though," she smiled at him.

Steve placed her down and she stumbled a bit, but he grabbed her arm, steadying her.
"So, where are we heading?" Leah asked.
"A safe place."
She furrowed her eyebrows at him and he just smiled, carrying on walking.

* * *

Returning from his morning run, Sam hears a knock at his door. He pust his drink down on the counter and heads to the door. When he opens it, he lightened up, when Sam opened the door, showing Steve and Leah standing there.

"Hey, man. Leah.," he greeted.
"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low," Steve said apologetically.
"Everyone we know is trying to kill us...." leah explained, a small comforting smile forming on her face.

Sam pauses for a moment before answering them,"Not everyone." He let's them enter, looking around outside to make sure no one was watching.

Leah turned to Sam, "Thankyou for this."
"Its okay, you guys are cool," he chuckled. "Any time."
She nodded. "Two guest bedrooms down the hall, if use want to get into some different clothes or get washed up a bit," Sam mentioned.
"Thankyou, I owe you Sam," Steve thanked gratefully.
"No need," Sam smiled at the two.

When Steve and Leah are cleaning up, Steve notices Leah looking sad and thoughtful. He walks out of the bathroom and leans against the door frame while wiping his hands on a small towel.

"You okay?" He asked, concerned.
"Yeah."
Steve grabbed a chair and sat infront of her, while she was sitting on the edge of the bed.
"What's going on?"

"When I first joined S.H.I.E.L.D, I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KBG for H.Y.D.R.A," leah started to explain. Leah wasn't lying, but she kept some things to herself. She was mainly scared because she had escaped H.Y.D.R.A after years of torture, and they were right under her nose this whole time. People not even knowing H.Y.D.R.A was still a thing.

"I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but.....I guess I can't tell the difference anymore," she continued, facing the floor in shame.

"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business," Steve said, lighting up the mood. Leah smiles very faintly.

"I owe you." She looked up.
"It's okay," he reassured smiling at her.
"If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save your life, and you be honest with me; would you trust me to do it?" She asked, hope in her green eyes.

"I would now. And I'm always honest," he said.
"Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing."
"Well, I guess I just like to know who I'm fighting," Steve answered, leah looking back down.

* * *

They are sat in the kitchen, Leah sitting on the end of the table with Steve on the seat next to her, while Sam was leaning on the kitchen counter with his arms crossed.

"So, I made breakfast.....if you guys eat that sort of thing?" Sam told them.
Leah let out a small grateful laugh, "thankyou Sam, we are not crazy." Sam smiled and placed the food infront of her and Steve, him having a plate aswell.

"So, the question is: who in S.H.I.E.L.D could launch a domestic missile strike?" Leah asked, taking a bite of her pancake after asking.
"Pierce," Steve answered, and Leah nodded in agreement.
"Thought the exact same thing, and seems to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world."

"But he's not working alone, Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star," Steve debated with himself.
"So was Jasper Sitwell...these pancakes are amazing by the way!" Leah said to Sam. He smiled in appreciation.

"So the real question is: how do the most wanted people in Washington kidnap a S.H.I.E.L.D officer in Broad daylight?"
"The answer is: you don't," Sam joined into the conversation. He drops a file in front of Steve and Leah.

"Whats this?"
"Call in resume." Leah picks up a photo of Sam with his para-rescue team.
"Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you.," leah says intregued and impressed. She turned to Steve, "you never told me that!"
"Is this Riley?" Steve asks.
"Yeah." Sam said, with a sad expression.

"I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPG's. What did you use, a stealth chute?" Leah asked, really getting into the story, it was like she was fan-girling.

"No, these." He hands Leah the file and she reads it.
"I thought you said you were a pilot?" Steve asked.
"I never said pilot," Sam corrected him.
"We can't ask you to do this Sam. You got out for a good reason," Leah said.

"Dude, Captain America and THE Leah Harper needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in!" Sam said excitedly and Leah's eyes widened with happiness that she hasn't felt I a while.

"Where can we get our hands on one of these things?" Steve questioned, agreeing with this plan.

"The last one is at Fort Meade, behind three guarded gates and twelve-inch-steel wall."
Steve looks at Leah and she shrugs her shoulders.
"Shouldn't be a problem," Steve said confidently.

He throws down the file on the table and it reads, 'classified military project: Falcon'.

Word Count: 966
Kiwi ~🥝