~51~ Curious questions

*Edited: Proofreading*
Word count: 2561

Big thanks to my fellow Groffsauce worshiper AnyaMae10 for being my moral support and helping me with this chapter!

°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•

(This is what you're wearing.)

I stare blankly at the floor, pushing away the sleepy feeling that silently called at me due to my lack of it the night before - focusing more on the male's question, which was stuck in my head as yet another one I couldn't seem to answer, while Marion finishes with the back of my dress, smoothing the back out with her hand.

"Something's on your mind again." She speaks up after a moment, fiddling with the pins in my hair and I look up at the dressing screen in front of me.
S

he then turns me to face her, her hands on my shoulders as her grassy hued eyes look me over.
"What's troubling you, dear child?" She asks with a gentle tone.

I rest my hands over my abdomen, thinking for a moment before I shift my eyes to hers.
"Just thinking." I whisper, my head tilting. "Last night, Samuel said...that they didn't think George would drink that badly, again. I don't mean to stick my nose where it doesn't belong but, if I'm being honest you all seemed a little off- not so much you, but Warner and especially Samuel."

I watch her expression shift.

"What caused him to drink the first time? Whatever happened must have been..." my voice falters as the older woman's shoulders rise and fall with a small breath - a soft sigh leaving her lips.

"Have you asked his majesty yet?"
She asks and I shake my head.

"Whatever it was seemed...I just don't want to stir up something that would hurt him." I respond. "And besides it's not the best time- we had an...interesting topic of conversation come up earlier and I'm still trying to process it."

Her green eyes soften with what looked like relief before she shies away.

"I've...served the royal family for a very long time. Ever since his majesty was just a child."
She nods, her gaze on the floor.
"He's had his share of troubling times, difficult moments; yet, I can only remember a few times when it got...well, that bad."

Her gaze lifts to mine and I go to speak up, yet stop myself as she continues.

"But, it's not my place to speak of such things." She sighs, flashing me a soft smile as she pats my shoulder.
"You best hurry down, his majesty will be expecting you for breakfast, and you wouldn't want to be late." She says, walking by me and I turn, stepping out from behind the dressing screen.