~35~ Communication and compromise

*Edited: Proofreading.*
Word count: 2570

~~~ October 3, 1777 ~~~

°
°
°

"Your majesty," the softer tone of the older woman was steady in interruption as she steps back through the door of the study. Her frame was dressed rather simply while in her hands was a thin, silver tray topped with dainty cups and spoons.
"I do not mean to intrude, but I brought you some tea. I thought it may help your focus."

"That is very thoughtful of you."

With few steps she arrives at the desk, making easy work of placing the tray down and moving the cup of rose-colored liquid towards the man who resided on the other side.

"Just doing my job, sire." She hums a quiet tune, stirring in a small spoon of sugar and the male stills in his writings, lifting his gaze to turn his focus on the room's other occupant.

"Marion," he inquires after a moment and the female continues on with her task - the royal clasping his hands as his blue eyes watch her with care.
"Is something bothering your wary mind?"

She glances upwards, straightening before she places a few items back on the tray - and the crackling of embers felt wanted admist the lasting silence.

"Why do you ask?" Her posed question earns a heartfelt grin - a subtle poke of interest in the conversation.

"You practically helped raise me- have served me for some time during, even in the...longer of years. I've known you long enough to know your little quirks- I also know how busy your schedule is this time of day, and although I do appreciate the gesture, I can't help but feel there's a deeper reason behind your visit." Quick words narrowed down the pointed topic, a breath leaving the older woman's eyes to shift down to the desk. "Is there something you wish to speak to me about?"

A sigh left the woman with relaxed shoulders and a hopefully defeated chuckle, her head shaking while her hands wrung together slowly - a showing of her lowered defenses.
"In a way...I suppose."

"You suppose?" The male quotes, leaning forward. "Marion, you should not fear bringing things to my attention."

"Yes, I know." The blonde smiles at the made gesture for her to continue. "It is just- I don't want to overstep my position. You see...I have overheard things- per-say, about a young lady wanting to befriend her highness."

George raises a brow in thought before his expression fell back to a neutral state.

"I'm assuming (y/n) has told you about our little...disagreement?"

"In a way, yes." Marion answers and her frame shifts. "Do not take this in a wrong way, you majesty, as I personally understand your want for caution in regards to the young lady, however..." a breath took the place of hesitant reasoning. "I think it may be in her best interest- if (y/n) was to have connections outside of the castle. It would be good for her in many ways, wouldn't you agree?"

Green eyes meet blue. Both calm as the door to the room opens - a uniformed male stepping forwards to join the two by the desk - and the royal takes the needed time to weigh unspoken options.

"She cannot be isolated from the people forever-" Marion continues - the royal male sparing a glance towards Warner's silent intrigue before resting his chin on clasped hands. "She needs to feel as though she can make decisions on her own. She can't be tightly caged. Babied- kept on close watch...if she is to want to stay here." Her features were kind - reminiscent of sorrow fought back with a feigned smile. "Even I need to trust her more. On her decisions- her want to open up to others here would be a step in the right direction. We all would do better if we didn't have to stress over her every action."