~53~ Open, and honest

*Edited: Proofreading*
Word count: 3987

"Positive thoughts." Marion says softly.

In taking the female's advice I swallow and glance down at my lap, placing a small smile on my face as she pats my hand.

The door to my room opens less than a moment later, followed by calm, even footsteps and I look up, turning to look back at the door to see the king entering the room - fixing the cuff on his jacket sleeve while Samuel followed by his side.

I glance back at Marion for a split second, pushing away the small feeling that lingered in my chest as my expression softens and without wasting a moment I calmly stand from my spot on the couch and cautiously step over Adelaide, my dress dragging behind me as I quickly make my way over to the king, who stood near the door.

"Good evening." I say kindly, yet a nervous tone lay hidden in my voice.

The familiar, gentle smile forms on the male's features, his blue eyes shining.

"You seem to be in good spirits." George comments and I chuckle softly, nodding as the uneasy feeling mostly dissipates.

My gaze shifts to Samuel - who was standing a little ways behind George, and a small, hopeful spark of a thought clicks in my head as a smile dares to twitch the corners of my lips up, an almost mischievous glint shining behind my eyes.

The answers to my questions were so simple, had been staring me in the face, and was the one person I should've gone to first.

We make eye contact as Samuel gives me an awkward smile.

I knew how to get answers -

"Love?"

I inhale, looking back at George, who raises a brow and I pinch my thumb, clearing my throat.

"Yes?" I ask and the blue eyed male flashes me a half smile.

"I asked you how you were feeling."

I feel my cheeks flush a light pink and I nod.
"I...I'm alright. Marion's reading to us." I shyly smile, glancing back at the woman in question as I play with my fingers - which were resting by my abdomen.
"What was it called again?" I ask and Marion stands, holding the book by her thighs, her arms straight and relaxed.

"'The aves of England.'" She responds, shooting me a knowing smile.

"'The aves of England.'" I repeat happily, looking back at George, who smiles, taking my hands in his as I inhale and my gaze falls as he gently pulls me a little closer.

"Sounds familiar. I take you're enjoying it?" George asks, and I nod slowly, seemingly studying his hands.

"Have you read it?" I ask mindlessly, a curious look in my eyes.

"A few years back I believe." George answers, titling his head. "Hungry, my dear?" He asks, glancing at Marion and I look up.

I take a breath, shyly nodding as the male chuckles and places his hand on the small of my back.

"Good. Come then, it's time for dinner." George says as he leads me into the hall.

I swallow as I walk by the male's side into the cool and empty hallway, looking back to see Samuel shutting my room door before following behind us and I bite the inside of my cheek as the wheels in my head turn.