~33~ Tears in tea

*Edited: 7-25-2022*
Word count: 2888

~~~ September 27, 1777 ~~~
(No one's pov)

°
°
°

The door shuts softly behind the female who had departed the quiet room - the frame held by gazes that lingered.

Marion was the first to move, to calmly sigh, her gaze remaining on the door for a moment before she turns on her heel. In two quick swipes of her hand she dusts off the skirt of her uniform, her pace calm as she makes her way to the area behind the dressing screen.

"She seemed down...did she not?" Lillian says softly after a moment, scratching behind her ear as she glances at the two females by her sides for conformation.

Marion listens, picking the nightgown off the small chair that sat against the wall and shaking it lightly at arms length before draping the fabric over her arm and turning on her heel once again.

"A little."
Adelaide's voice was toned down - her eyes downcast.

"Come to think of it, she didn't really say much last night either..." Kate mumbles, lost in thought as she ruffles her messy bun of blonde hair.

Marion steps out from behind the screen, her gaze on the floor as the wheels in her head turn against each other — her brow creasing in thought as she stops near the other three.
Adelaide takes notice of the older woman's expression and turns back to face her, tilting her head in a showing of confused attention as she places her hands in front of her.

"Marion." She chimes, her voice louder than before and the older woman looks up.
"I know that look, is something troubling you?"

Kate looks back - Lillian's gaze following soon after and silence gave a few moments time to watch the older blonde carefully. The blue eyed female nods, her fingers busy with tugging at her floor length skirt and after a moment she takes a small step forward, a concerned look etched on her features as her dark hair falls around her face.
"Are you stuck on something?"

"Divided is a more fitting word." Marion answers, taking a small breath and the younger blonde perks up, the same usual happy smile pulling at her lips.

"Whatever is wrong? We can help you." Kate says, nodding her head a little as she shifts in her spot - her sudden eagerness shining on her sleeve and Marion looks at her, thinking for a moment.

"It's (y/n). I overheard what had happened yesterday...and in all honesty, I've been meaning to tell you all about this for some time." Her tone was laced with uncertainty hidden below a veil of sugar-coated concern. "Please understand, that I know you all aren't as informed as the other...higher ranked staff such as the guards. And know that I understand you'll have your many questions. But hear me out first- hear the entire story."

A few nods were sent the older woman's way - the room falling silent.

Marion sighs, her hand gesturing towards the bed - and the three females follow the unspoken instruction, finding a place on the foot of the bed.
Her thumb traces her bottom lip - green eyes unshed of worry.

"I apologize...for not telling you all sooner." She starts slowly - earning a shake of the head from the younger blonde.

Her smile never wavered - her expression that of a kind shoulder to lean against.
"We've all been busy, Marion. It wasn't a top priority."