~24~ The soft sounds of music

*Edited: 4-17-2022*
Word count: 3795

*Hi! Just a few things before this chapter starts.
Ok first, I do not own the music used above - and yes I am aware it's from cowboy bebop, but just roll with it, it is the joy of piano.°'°
*Edit: I was so tempted to change the piano cover to 'Midnight love' from 'Diabolik lovers' however I didn't want to go through the struggle of matching the needed segment again. It was a pain the first time... -^- But you should check the song out, it is beautiful!*
Secondly, please don't play the music until it says so later in the chapter. Thank you and enjoy!^°^*

°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•

If I wasn't confused before I sure was now.

The whole day had been spent by the king's side or within his company - each anxious second slowly passing into molded hours of waiting for whatever was to come next. However, aside from a day of calming conversations held up mostly by the royal and those momentarily joining, the subtle, lighthearted teasing and occasional look that made my heart want to burn, nothing of note had really happened.

No announcement of my death. No accidental glimpse of the gallows - not so much a hint of a remark regarding it.

George was pretty much acting like how he always did. Calm, calculated - suave and gentlemanly overall with just a hint of love-filled mischief.

The sky was mixing different shades of soft blues and fiery yellow-oranges, the setting sun slowly making way for the evening canvas to paint itself with the closer strokes of midnight. The air was sweet with the floral tones of the garden - the royal's hand holding mine in a way that felt peaceful despite the unease. Our fingers remained interlocked on our quiet stroll through the terrace, the stone pathway lined with lush fields of somber green.

"It is very lovely out here." My soft start to a new conversation led the male's gaze to my profile - a gentle smile on his face.

"Indeed it is. The beauty it holds may be wonderful, however I find it doesn't quite compare to the life in your breathtaking eyes."

My hand tightens around the male's, my gaze flicking to the ground out of a feeling that wanted to return my dusted cheeks to a more natural tone. "I- thank you, George. But there isn't need for admiration."

"Just because there isn't need for it, does not mean it should be excluded." The male hums in a response I wasn't expecting - and my gaze shifts to the grass. "Still, you are welcome, my dear."

His frame slows after a moment, stopping soon after and I lift my eyes to meet with the pair of baby blues - the male's features painted with questions. "Do you love me, (Y/n)?"

Another simple question with less than clear answers.

My lips part to voice thoughts that remained unheard - settling back to how best answer it. "Well, I do not hate you- I know judgement may say I probably should after everything that has transpired, but I do not hate you." A pair of soft hands take my own with care to my gentle response - a light hum making my gaze fall.

"That wasn't the question." He says softly, his eyes holding intent. "If you do not yet share my affections, it is alright. It can be something for us to work on, together, but you shouldn't stray from honesty."

A small breath finds my voice to falter as I didn't know how to answer without causing hurt. A standstill lingered in my mind - my gaze lifting once more.

"...no." I say - a wary tone acquainting my response. "I do not hold those feelings for you- but I consider you a...well an acquaintance as well as my king."