~38~ Red and restful reading Pt.3

*Edited: Proofreading*
Word count: 2866

Once again, big thank you to my best friend sskmskksksksksmsks for helping me with these last three chapters!^°^

°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•

~~~ October 9, 1777 ~~~

°
°
°

The warmth of the fire hit my right side as I sat in front of it, on my knees as I leaned forward slightly with my hands on the floor in front of me, the white cuffs covering my knuckles while the king's jacket sat draped over my shoulders, keeping me warm along with the fire.
The soft glow illuminated the left side of the dark room, making it feel cozy and relaxing along with the gentle crackles of the thin pieces of wood within it.

My hair was still slightly damp from the bath Marion had helped me with not too long ago and two small cups of tea sat on a silver tray to the side of us from our 'tea party' on the floor.

A focused, and slightly puzzled look sat on my features as my gaze remained on the dark, chocolate brown and cream colored checkerboard that sat between the male and I, more so the small, thin, circle shaped pieces that were arranged all over the wooden surface.

"You know my dear..." George starts, tilting his head as I furrow my brow in thought.
"if you want to admit defeat, you can. I won't hold it against you." He says with a innocently mocking tone and I flick my gaze up to the blue eyed male as I tap my pointer finger on the floor.

"Oh no." I chuckle dryly, tilting and resting my head on my right shoulder. "I've already lost to you plenty, and I'd like to hold on to my dignity, thank you." I say in a determined and slightly matter of fact tone.
"So if I'm going down, I'm going down with at least somewhat of a fight."

The male chuckles, "You don't sound too confident love."

"Oh I'm plenty confident." I respond as I rest the tips of my fingers on one of the small, lighter colored pieces, picking it up and moving it diagonally two spaces before humming in small victory as I pick up the dark piece and hold it between my pointer and middle finger.
"See, there goes your last king." I smile innocently, only to hear George hum in response and move one of his pieces before he picks up the lighter colored piece and my smile falters as he holds it in between his thumb and middle finger.

"Last I checked my sweet angel, I have more pieces than you do, and I'm closer to winning yet again." He says with confidence and I look back at the board as I furrow my brow.

"Well I-" my voice falters as I bite the inside of my cheek, moving another one of my pieces.

"Cat got your tongue?" George teases and I playfully scoff as I lightly shake my head.

We play in vocal silence for a few minutes, George casually moving his darker pieces as I tried to concentrate and outsmart him.

But alas my attempts were futile, and soon I added another figurative tally to my losing streak as I stare in irritated disbelief at the lack of light colored pieces on the board, my gaze flicking to the small stack of circular pieces on the floor by the corner of the board.

"I...don't understand how I've yet to beat you- and at checkers? We've played almost twenty-five games..." I mumble under my breath as I straighten, carefully picking up the small teacup.

"It's really quite simple." George chuckles softly, watching with proud eyes as I slowly bring the cup to my lips.
"You see love, you're too easy to read, you show too much false confidence or not enough, you falter easily at certain points during the game and you fail to think ahead." He starts and I look at him as I pause, holding the cup by my mouth.
"You don't plan out your moves ahead of time or look for possible consequences, you just move your piece where you think is best because it looks good in the moment and gives you that quick sense of having the upper hand against your opponent. You're also not good at hiding your emotions my dear, which makes you predictable." He states in a matter a fact tone and I swallow the small sip of tea before lowering the cup down to my chest, a slightly concerned look on my face as I raise a brow.