~29~ My little linnet bird

*Edited: 7-8-2022*
Word count: 2952

The room was quiet, wrapped in a peaceful blanket of warmth and offered concentration.

Everything stood still aside from the occasional turning of a page and each steady breath - my focus all but lost in priority of taking in detailed scenes described within the story I had been so drawn in to.
My back sat resting against the arm of the long couch, my shoulders in a relaxed state and my legs bent at an angle to help prop up the spine of the book against my knees. The heels I once wore were long discarded on the floor beside the couch - a section of my dress falling off the front cushion.

But the silence remained unbroken - stitched together for a realization that the library was almost too quiet.

I lift my gaze, glancing at the table Samuel once occupied - his figure no longer flipping through the pages of books and quietly mumbling to himself of the notes he had taken. I sit up a little more, setting the book down on the cushion.

Even the chair Benedict had pulled to the door was empty.

The cool floor sends a chill up my spine as I stand - unsure as I make my way to the oak doors.

I open one with caution, peering out into the hallway before stepping forward and looking to my right - to the still and silent hallway - pinching my fingers.

When the two left, why - and how I hadn't heard it was nothing more than mystery.

I shake my head as if scoffing at the thought that entered - failing to focus on the quiet. My brow knits, my gaze steady yet I step back.

'Stay put.' I scold, turning on my heel despite everything scream at me to stop.

Stop. Go back. Don't leave.

Despite everything the hallway passes me by - my pace picking up -

Why was I not listening?

'Please go back-'

But it is their fault is it not? They left me alone - I don't need to listen. Not to them.

My veins turn to stone - each muscle ceasing their actions and I freeze at the end of hall.

A heavy exhale wanted to burn my lungs. My pride needed to be swallowed, put away along with my skittish actions.

I close my eyes - gripping the pale blue fabric of my dress.

'Stop this madness.' Each word was firm. Slow. 'You don't know what you are doing- just relax...please relax. Return to the library and you'll be fine-'

I jump at the hand on my shoulder - whipping around to come face to face with a man. A soldier.

"My apologies, your highness. My intentions were not to startle you." He speaks and I only wished I was as calm.
"May I ask why you're alone?"

"I'm not supposed to be alone..."

"Not for the time being, m'lady." He answers what I had realized was said outlook and I look up to see his gaze scanning the hall.
"Which leads me to ask where your guards are?"