~3~ Solace for the shy

*Edited/published: 1-3-22*
Word count: 3159

The sun that was once shining high in its place in the sky was now slowly starting its descent back down to the horizon - the sky no longer speckled with clouds.

I carefully make my way through the small crowd of curious onlookers in front of the bakery, with sore feet - my body and mind exhausted from the lively events of the day, and my lack of sleep the night before.

And to say the day was busy, was a borderline understatement — not just for me, but for everyone bustling through the town and shops, or just with their normal day-to-day routines.

I hold a neatly wrapped glass bowl closer to my chest - the weaved basket, that was now partly filled with different goods and needed ingredients, hanging on my right arm.

"Excuse me..." I mumble in a meek tone, gently pushing past the last few people, and two U.S. soldiers, who stood by the front entrance. I then place my hand on the cool metal handle, turning it before opening the door in a smooth motion - and the little bell above it chimes.

I calmly walk into the cool front area of the bakery as a soft conversation to my left dies down, the building falling silent and I yawn, bringing my free hand up to cover my mouth before I lightly shake my head.

"Barbara, I'm back." I call out, shutting the front door with my foot. "I apologize if I'm a little late- but you'll never guess what I saw." I say with a chuckle, rubbing my left eye with the palm of my hand as I walk behind the counter with a semi-quick pace - speaking up once again as I push through the kitchen door.
"This ship is unlike any of ours, it's breathtaking really. I was thinking of taking my little brothers to see it sometime this week, if I hopefully have some free time- you were right, by the way, when you said the market would be quite busy." I ramble on, placing both the basket and bowl down on the counter before taking notice of the oddly quiet space.

"Barbara?" I call out again, turning to look around the kitchen only to find it empty. I bite the inside of my cheek, tapping the countertop with my pointer finger as the little bell on the other room's door chimes once more.

I look back towards the kitchen entrance, taking a breath as a shy, and cautious expression fell upon my face, yet I swallow, walking over to the door and pushing it open, my gaze landing on the dark haired female as I sigh in almost relief.

"Barbara." I breathe, closing my eyes as the older female turns her gaze towards me. I step out of the doorway and rub the back of my neck with an awkward chuckle, "I was starting to worry."

"Whatever for child?" Barbara smiles, walking over to me as I tap my fingers together and look up at her.

"You didn't answer. I was beginning to think something happened-"

She chuckles, cutting me off.
"You worry too much dear child. All is well." She smiles as she places her hands on my shoulders, her gaze gentle and upbeat.
"Now, I'm so glad you're back; Washington wants to introduce you to someone." She says happily, turning me to the right - and the color immediately drains from my face.

My gaze falls to the floor rather quickly - not wanting to look at the different, color-coated men in red, blue, or rich golden-brown.

Her warm hand places itself on the small of my back, leading me towards the bakery's front dining space.

"Pleasure to see you again, Ms. (L/n)." Washington's tone held calm confidence, his frame making his way over to me and I lift my eyes for just a moment - partly relieved in seeing at least a few familiar faces in a crowd of otherwise strangers.

He smiles, holding out his hand and I look back at the floor as if it were a consoling friend - Barbara patting my shoulder in a silent gesture that told me I was fine, and with a hesitant expression I take general's hand, feeling his grip tighten around my fingers just enough so he could gently pull me towards him - and he leads me past a few soldiers.