~18~ England Pt.2: Arrival

*Edited: 2-27-2022*
Word count: 4415

Big thanks to my friend AnyaMae10 who was both my moral support and who helped with ideas to expand on the scenes in this chapter!

°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•

They had been at the door within moments - responding to Marion's cry from her place in the doorway and she turns - a few soldiers pushing the door open more.

Every muscle felt petrified.

"Your majesty. She's gone-" one of the men calls, and I step back down a stair, my frame turning without hesitation and at that split second I didn't care if someone noticed my skittish action.

I descend down the stairs, every part of my body wanting to ache with a newfound rush of adrenaline and I barely caught notice of the deckhand.

"Is something going on?" He calls after me, his hand reaching out yet I ignore him.

I knew what was coming next - could practically hear the king's calmly rushed footsteps and sense his rising curiosity.
Or would it be more of a plaguing panic?

The deckhand calls out to me again as I reach the door - pushing through it and almost throwing it shut behind me.

The hallway was dim, and I only stop for a second — there were few places to hide and very little time to dig myself out of the ravine I had plummeted into.

I could already hear the soldiers making their descent down the stairs - George having given his orders and my worries were only just starting.

I waste no time in making my way a few doors down the hall - turning to my right and quickly pushing open a door to a room I had been to a few times before, knew would be empty and felt at least a little familiar with.

The dim light from the hallway illuminates Marion's quarters and a feeling of guilt washes over me for intruding in her private space...for many choices made that night.

I shut the door behind me, leaning agaisnt it and my hand holds the handle firmly in place - my thoughts not given a chance to linger as the hallway door opens, a few soldiers rushing in and down the dim space.

The king would want me found, and to my horror, there was a major possibility that no one was getting off this ship until I had been tracked down.

I lost my upper hand, and it was safe to say I wanted to throw up my nerves.

Boots pass the other side of the door - and I close my eyes, tilting my head back.
My heart was pounding as a nearby door opens - my bones wanting to shatter at the familiar, deep voice.

"Is something going on?"

I knew his calm tone wasn't going to last - if not then, then when I was caught — no. No I'd be fine.

"General Warner, sir." A soldier says, clearing their throat and my hand tightens around the cool metal.
"His majesty has requested your immediate presence. It's of an urgent matter, sir."

"Has the little lady tried something?" Warner's tone told me many things in just a few words, his emotions steady, yet shifting.

"Her highness is missing."

"Has she gotten off the ship?"

"We're not certain, but there is a possibility. The king has sent soldiers out to the docks, but no one ever saw her get off the ship, or leave the king's quarters." The soldier replies, and Warner's steps into the hall were heavy yet just as calculated.