~14~ Reciprocation

*Edited: 2-11-2022*
Word count: 3075

I take a breath as the sound of soft footsteps approach me, my eyes studying the floor as the blurry figure of the king disappears.

He calls out something I couldn't make out and moments later two blurry figures of soldiers replace his, standing on the other side of the frost-tinted, glass doors.

My gaze lifts to look at the blonde haired female, who stood a little ways away with her back towards me, her hands busy with placing the bundles of fabric in her arms down on the couch before she straightens and turns back to me - the soft smile on her face helping her green eyes to hold a maternal sense.

"Oh, look at you." She exhales, looking over my frame as she approaches. "Such a quiet, natural beauty."
Her hand tucks a strand of her long blonde hair behind her ear, her gaze drawing to my facial features while her hands lifted the thick cape from my shoulders - my hands not wasting a moment to pull the edge of the white dress shirt down more as she placed the item over her arm.
"And your eyes- a lovely shade of (e/c). You're a timid one, aren't you."

I avert my eyes to look at the floor, tugging at the shirt's hem as the older woman holds back a chuckle.

"Oh dear, where's your nightgown?" She asks before shaking her head at herself.
"Nevermind, we mustn't dawdle."
Her free hand takes mine, her frame leading me over to the cream colored couch.
"Take that shirt off for me, will you dearie." She smiles, setting the cape down and I hug myself, stepping back as I shake my head in a timid objection.

"I-I mean no disrespect ma'am-" I protest with quick words. "but please, I'm perfectly capable of dressing myself."

She just smiles, "Marion is fine. Now relax, sweetie, there's no need to be so shy."
She gently pulls me forward, back to her and my lungs momentarily cease to bring in air.
"We mustn't keep his majesty waiting, you know." Her hands move my arms away and I close my eyes, listening to the older woman unfasten the two buttons at the top of the shirt before slipping the white fabric over my head and off my frame.

"You wore your corset to bed?"
She questions and I hug myself - as if hiding from her gaze and the blonde lays the shirt on the arm of the couch.

She takes in a moment of my silence before she chuckles, her tone still soft.
"If that makes you more comfortable for now, dearie, then there's nothing wrong with that."

(This is what you're wearing

(This is what you're wearing.)

~~~ °•° ~ °•° ~~~

The blonde smiles as she leads me over to the armoire, her hands quickly dusting off the dress and fiddling with my loosely curled hair before she opens the left side to reveal a mirror on the door.

The dress was elegant, reaching to the floor in a dusty, dark red and creamish colored hue - the skirt, sleeves, and bodice decorated in floral detail and lace trim.