~32~ Watching it burn

*Edited: 7-25-2022*
Word count: 1984

"What?" My response was breathless - caught in a state of disbelief that lingered in a lifetime of momentary seconds - and the larger frame passes behind me at the male's simple command.
I turn as if I didn't want him to go, my hands by my sides and yet Warner continues his prowl towards the fireplace.

The room felt claustrophobic - cold as snow covered stone.

Warner collects two items from the top of the mantle before his frame kneels — still looming and unmatched - my gaze held to his back, and even the glint of silver seemed to pale in comparison to each unseen movement.

"Are you not cold, my dear?" The royal's question was slow, halfhearted.

"Your highness..." I answer the air, taking a slow moment before I let my eyes meet the soft pair of blue ones.
I step closer to the desk, placing my cupped hands on its surface.
"talk to me...please..."

He smiles with hesitancy, his mind deep in thought and soon after his eyes fell to watch his hands.

A drawer shifts, parting the silence that soaked up each moment.

"Do not take these next actions in harsh vain." He says calmly and I bite the inside of my cheek - glanicng back at the general as if worried about his intentions.

Unseen papers shift in the king's calm search for something.

Panic rested in slumber, trying to maintain nothing more than an afterthought of desolate hope.

Flint met with the smooth surface of steel iron - striking sparks that would fan flames.

A deep breath hugged my lungs like an old friend - a stale peace clinging to the left over scraps of life.

Warmth was to come — secondhand to the lively glow of burning orange and goldenrod yellow.

A sunset to hold in the palm of one's hand.

"George..." his name was like silk - a motive spoken to find what thoughts drove his eyes to meet mine with the look they held.

In his hands, was a small object.
On his features, reluctance. Sincerity.

His thumb runs over the edges, flipping through the pages of the small book he held close - his eyes meeting the cover and he takes a breath.

"Do not think I am doing this to hurt you...however...I am a man of my word. I must be a man of my word." He pauses for only a moment. "For how is anyone to learn, without consequences? Reward?"

"What?"

He smiles as if to himself.
"Don't get me wrong, I am proud of any progress you make. Of the progress you have made." The royal shifts, making calm strides in my direction and my eyes fall to the book in his grasp —

But it wasn't just any book.

"You...still have my journal?" A tone of caution laced my words together and my eyes flick up, making contact with George as he looks back at me, his lips pursed into a thin smile I couldn't crack the secrets behind.

"I haven't exactly had the time to return it to you. Besides, I've found this little thing, to be a very delightful read in my gleaming moments of spare time." He adds a small chuckle, his head tilting and he taps the book across his palm.
"Although, it will make due for a demonstration."
He stops a little ways in front of me, his gaze falling back down to the book as he takes a breath and I furrow my brow.

"Demonstration?" I ask softly, watching as he once again runs his thumb on the closed pages.

The cracking of fire left the reflection of gentle flames in my eyes - Warner, in silent strides, moving to stand by my side.