~20~ Tea and townspeople

*Edited: 3-12-2022*
Word count: 5922

~~~ September 22, 1777 ~~~

°
°
°

For seven days I awoke to the sound of the door unlocking and slowly opening.

For seven days the soft footsteps would momentarily pause, stopping in the room before they slowly made their way towards the bed as a familiar velvety voice would wish me a good morning.

For seven days I would pull the blankets and my knees closer to my chest as I curled up into a small ball - hiding under the covers like a child to their make believe monsters.

For seven days the king would slowly pull away my small moment of safety - exposing my frail frame to the cool morning air before he would scoop me up from the bed and chuckle as I would hide my face in his shoulder, shielding my tired eyes from the reality of waking up to face another day in my fancy, oversized prison.

~~~ °•° ~ °•° ~~~

The lock turns - opening the door as my cue to furrow my brow, holding the edge of the covers close to my curled frame.

The footsteps were steady, soft, making their way across the room - and as they approach I pull the covers above my head, wishing the footsteps would go away so I could slip back into the peaceful darkness of slumber.

The curtains on the left window draw open, inviting the unwelcome morning and the room fell back to a quiet state.

A gentle hand taps my shoulder twice, and I hold the blankets tighter.

"Go away...please."

"Now is not the time to be stubborn, dear child."
The kind-hearted chuckle wasn't the only familiar sound to reach me - and I pause to hold my breath for a moment as I slowly bring the blankets down passed my eyes, and holding them to cover my mouth.

Her blonde hair was tied up in a bun - the same, simple black dress on her figure. The bodice sat snug around her waist while the skirt draped down to the floor around her - a white chiffon fabric resting over her shoulders, chest and at the end of her sleeves, which stopped at her elbows.

Her features were gentle - smiling down at me with care.

I sit up rather slowly - the blankets falling down to pool at my waist as I get on my knees - watching the older woman as if I weren't sure I was dreaming or not.

"Marion..." I say softly.

She smiles more and I jump up, wrapping my arms around her neck before she could speak - and while standing on my knees I pull her down into a tight hug as she awkwardly leans over the side of the bed.

"Marion!"
I bury my face into her shoulder, holding the female tightly and she smiles.
"I missed you so much! I'm so sorry I didn't say goodbye-"

"No need for apologies." Marion smiles, and after a moment she holds me at arms length, her fingers playing with my hair - and I fall back to sit on my knees.
"Did you sleep well?"
I nod at her question almost eagerly and she smiles a little more, nodding back as she hums. "That's good to hear."

I kept my gaze on her frame - her calming expression turning towards the door as she teases out and tames the tangles within my hair.