~6~ Baking and bonding time

*Edited: 1-11-22.*
Word count: 3443

~~~ (The king's pov) ~~~

°
°
°

The room was calm, quiet from the occasional padding of boots on wood - my eyes making quick work of scanning over the words on a piece of parchment.
The house - which Washington was letting me reside in during my stay - was dark, lit only by crisp moonlight and the warm glow of candles sitting in safe areas.

I sat silently at a desk near the back corner of the room, keeping myself busy with the work written down neatly on rolled up scrolls and documents - and the feeling of relief was more than welcome - finally able to be away from General Washington and his men for the night.

I knew I had to play along - follow through with months of planning - as I would be lying if I said dedicating most of my focus to the American general and treaty talk was a pleasant pastime.

At the moment though, I didn't seem to care.
For the past hour and a half my mind had been buzzing with the thoughts of the day's events - and one person in particular - swarming with reminiscent images of her pale eyes and warming smile, her gentle expression and timid frame hugged by simple hued fabrics.

A sharp knock sounds from the closed doors of the study and I look up, pulling myself from the thoughts in my head.
"Come in." I say clearly - the general of my army walking in a few moments later.

"Your majesty." Warner says, bowing to me before he straightens and his arm raises to rest by his abdomen.
"The troops are ready to move any time now. They just await your final order." His voice was clear, even - his eyes gazing at mine.

I exhale and motion for him to come closer as I stand, placing my hands on the desk's surface as he walks closer.
"I don't think a final order is necessary." The words I uttered were soft, my eyes scanning the pieces of parchment strewn across the desk.

He looks at me, raising his brow as he steps closer - his expression still serious. "Your majesty, I'm a little confused."

I chuckle almost dryly, "I've been thinking." I pause for a moment, tapping my fingers on the desk with care. "And I've come to the conclusion that we may not have to attack this...pathetic 'country' after all. There's a possibility that we can go through with this treaty...all I need in return is one, small, unknown request on their part.

I look at the male as he straightens and rolls his shoulders - his answer plain.
"You mean the female."

I walk to the front of the desk with slow steps, grabbing the quill that sat on top of it before my fingers twirl it with an air of care - however my voice was more stern, even.
"I wouldn't ask this of you if I didn't feel it was necessary, but I want the soldiers to keep an eye on her. Some who are not dressed in uniform, so we don't raise her suspicions."
I take a breath, my gaze on the floor as if I were studying the intricate patterns of the wood.
"After what happened today I've realized...how delicate she truly is, how dangerous it can be for her here without any protection at all. Barbara said it herself- she's way too trusting, and apparently is willing to throw herself into danger." My chuckle was dry - forced, and I shake my head. "Which is something I didn't think the little flower would do."

"But, the situation this morning turned out alright, she came out unharmed." Warner explains and I look up, a serious expression on my features.

"Yes, but next time- what if next time she is struck, or seriously hurt? And I have to what, stand there and pretend I don't care for her well-being as much as I do." I scoff lightly as Warner tilts his head back, a sympathetic look in his eyes.
"I understand she's not some fragile doll- that she might get hurt and I might not be able to stop that...but if I can help in other ways or prevent things from being worse than they could be..." my voice falters, falling silent.