~48~ To listen, to reason

*Edited: Proofreading*
Word count: 4606

I apologize for this chapter being late!

Big thanks to my friend AnyaMae10 who, once again, helped me with the horse related stuff in this chapter.

¡Warning! This chapter contains mentions of alcohol abuse. If you're uncomfortable with that please read with caution during the last half of this chapter. Thank you

°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•□°•°•°•

~~~ October 30, 1777 ~~~

°
°
°

The soft, distant sounds of care free horses were the first thing to catch my attention as I open my eyes, lifting my head from George's shoulder to see a part of the castle grounds I had only seen once before - an elegant, two story building with dark windows, wooden trim and doors.
Stable hands walked in and out of the area, calling out orders and doing different jobs around the place.

George walks passed the stables - heading towards a decently sized pen that connected to the side of the stable, where a few horses were being led in circles by stable hands.

But what caught my attention most was the familiar, gray speckled thoroughbred that stood next to the fence with a familiar stableboy.
Almost instantly a small smile spread across my face as I inhale, my gaze on the mare, who's head lifted as she looked in our direction, her ears twitching.

But, as George got closer I felt uneasy, my body tensing slightly in the male's arms as a new, small sense of just how powerful the creature in front of me was clicked in my mind.

He stops by the fence of a decently sized 'training' type area for the horses, in front of the two familiar faces as the stable hand smiles, bowing respectively to the king as George gently sets me down on the ground by his side, his arm snaking around my waist to help support me and I keep my weight on my right leg.

"Your highness, I'm so glad your recovery is going going well. We all had quite a fright when we heard what happened, but I'm so glad you both are alright." The stable hand says, nodding his head as rubs the mare's neck and I smile shyly, trying to push away the nerves that nipped my skin.

"T-thank you." I say kindly and the stable hand smiles more.

"Of course. I was about to give Opi here a trot-up, make sure she's alright when I got word you were worried about her." He says, patting Opi's neck before ruffling her mane.

Opi bobs her head, seemingly excited and I stop myself from flinching as I play with the skirt of my light yellow dress, holding a small breath as she leans her head forward, her lips moving as she takes a small step forward and breathes out, her front hoof pawing at the hard ground.

My heartbeat picks up slightly as I look at the horse - feeling hesitant, her muzzle hovering inches away from my face as she sniffs me, her warm breath tickling my skin as a soft, uneasy chuckle leaves my lips.
I slowly lift my hand, watching as the mare shakes her head and exhales.

I smile a little more at her actions, seeing how - almost playful she was being as I tilt my head and she bobs hers, her ears twitching as I let my guard down.

She was a powerful, majestic creature yes, but she was also skittish, easily startled and frightened - like most horses.
And she, like myself, his majesty, and most of the soldiers, had been startled — caught off guard that night.
It wasn't her fault.
She never meant to cause me harm, she was just scared.