~2~ The men in red coats

*Edited: 1-3-22*
Word count: 3036

*Edited: 1-3-22*Word count: 3036

(This is what you're wearing.)

~~~ July 27, 1777 ~~~

°
°
°

The cool morning air blew gently by, hitting my skin like soft cotton one couldn't see.

My thumb traces over the cold surface of the small, golden pocket watch in my hand with slow motions - my eyes gazing down at the trinket with a worry that lay hidden just below my eyes.

I shouldn't have been as nervous as I was - I had prepared for this week, a week I was still trying to convince myself would be just like any other.

I exhale a stiff breath, bringing the watch closer to my chest as my hand tightens around it and I look up at the dark, grayish-blue sky that peered out from above the awning I stood under.

"Wish me luck." I whisper to myself as I look down and shake my free hand, trying to do away with the nerves tingling my skin - before meekly jumping down the two small steps of the porch and landing on the gravel below. It crunches under my feet, giving way under my heels and I force a timid smile, pushing away the anxious feelings bombarding my mind as I nod and walk forward - my head held high as I gathered all my confidence, my loosely curled hair falling over my shoulders.

I place my pocket watch in my satchel, adjusting the strap over my shoulder before I pick up my pace - smiling a more natural smile as I quietly hum and listen to the sweet melody of chirping birds sitting perched in nearby trees, and the movement of the shifting gravel and dirt under my feet.

~~~ °•° ~ °•° ~~~

It was pretty quiet, the streets empty aside from the few other people getting up before the sun's rays touched down on the earth and greeted everyone with a bright and cheerful morning.

I kept my pace even, my gaze focused on my surroundings, looking at the scenery that never failed to amaze me; from the tall, trimmed trees, bushes and gardens of decorative flowers; the simple - yet elegant houses and buildings of white, light gray, or soft reddish-brown - each varying in size, shape and detail; and the dark blue sky speckled with gray clouds - mixing with the light blue fade that indicated where the sun was going to rise.

I was in a daze of sorts, my mind full of thoughts, and I tried keeping the more positive ones at the forefront of my focus to settle the nerves that lagged behind and tied small knots in my stomach.

A group of birds fly overhead and I laugh quietly to myself, my head tilting back to try and look at them better as I inhale and swing my free arm gently, a small smile sitting on my face -

I then gasp as I run into something hard, catching me both off guard and balance. My satchel slides off my shoulder as I fail to find my footing - falling on my back to land on the ground that now seemed a lot harder.