~60~ A nice little talk

*Edited: Proofreading*
Word count: 5800

I reach the top of the stairs, signalling my arrival to the second floor of the castle and I sigh, turning down the hallway leading to my room.

The males that walked behind me were close, their footsteps in almost perfect synchronization and the clicking of their boots created an unfocused rhythm with the lighter clicking of my heels.

The hallway was well lit, the candles - like they seemingly always did, painted the walls, floor, and ceiling with warmth; giving each hued surface the appearance of comfort as though the whole castle's inside was coated in a faint gold, and honey-like aura.

But the smile fell from my features - the snapping of someone's heels coming closer and more prominent.

The steps were quick, yet held back and restrained - and from the quiet mumbling of the two males behind me coupled with that fact, I knew almost instantly who it was.

"Baker girl." Her haughty voice calls out and I inwardly cringe with subtle unease, my steps slowing as I pinch my thumb and turn to face the older woman, who's frame passes Sean's side before she stops in front of me with the upmost grace.

Yet to me, her tall, elegantly dressed and well kept stature towered over me with a terror that slowly began creeping its way into my bones.

She followed me?

I look up, pushing aside my nerves to make way for the kind smile I offered her.

"Your highness." I greet, yet I could instantly tell she heard my more timid undertone.
"However can I be of assistance to you?"

"No assistance is necessary. Just a simple talk." She responds rather quickly, her arm bent at an angle as it rested at her hip and her gaze turns to the soldiers.
"You both are dismissed. That's not a request." She comments and yet Benedict steps forward, as though to challenge the female.

"With all due respect, your highness," he begins in a calm tone and I turn my gaze to Sean, who looks back at me.
"we have a direct order from his majesty to escort the young lady to her room."

"And I- as a member of the royal family, have given you both an order. Wait by the main stairway if you must, but your assistance is not needed at the moment."

Benedict stood tall, biting back his words and yet the glimmer in his eye, that I had caught from a quick glance at the tall male, silently told me an idea had already entered his head.

He takes a breath and bows slowly, his confidence never wavering as he turns his gaze to Sean, motioning with his head for his comrade to follow suit.

He does, showing me a once gentle smile before he turns - the two of them walking slowly back down the hall.

The silver clad woman hums, her hand falling and I keep my composure as I look back at her, and the eyes that once again seemed to look me over.

"That was quite the response you gave at dinner." She starts in a flattened tone of kindness, her gaze oddly more relaxed as she inhales. "I must say, you handled yourself rather...decently."

My hands clasp behind my back and I curtly nod, not too sure on what to say.
"I...was just being honest." I keep my response more simple and she smiles a thin smile, her eyes upturned.

"Yes. Honesty is something that will get many people far in life. A trait you value- not just for yourself, but for others; do you not?"
Her words were phrased like a cryptic question - and I don't answer, not knowing if it was one she was asking to me or in general.
"But,"
The female ponders and my heartbeat picks up as she glances to the two males making their way to the staircase - her eyes narrowing as if to watch me closely once again, her voice speaking up her thoughts in a more quiet tone.
"don't think I didn't notice you drowning in your thoughts. Tell me, what had your attention held to the point your focus was elsewhere?"